PDA

View Full Version : Raising with pocket pairs TT or lower

06-28-2002, 12:04 PM
I'm still having trouble deciding when to raise with pocket pairs at TT or less. I realize variying your play to the game is important, but I would like some ideas on what any of you do, or have done. I play 3-6 mainly and DO NOT feel comfortable at all with these hands!!!!

Any insights??

Laddy

06-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Regarding raising preflop with pairs TT and below in a typical low-limit game, here's a clever rule to memorize that I've found helpful and profitable...

Don't.

Thin the field? Hah! Thats a good one.

See the flop cheaply and proceed as follows:

Love the flop: You flop a set. Bet, raise re-raise etc...

Like the flop: No overcards. Bet, raise, etc.. Protect your over pair from an overcard falling on the turn.

Not particularly fond of the flop: One overcard. Here's where experience, judgement and paying attention to the other players come into play.

Hate the flop: 2 or 3 overcards. Fold. Yes, you may fold the winner sometimes.

Just my 2cents.

Michael

Be the flop...

See the flop...

You're not being the flop, Danny.

06-28-2002, 12:52 PM
If it will knock out everyone behind you and get the pot heads up or three way go ahead and raise (I'd also do so with 99 and 88). I will often 3-bet with TT and 99 as well.

Early I will usually raise with TT and up but just call w/ 99-77 in a typical game. I would only raise in the blinds after a late open limper or raiser.

To me "typical" is not a loose game where raises are not respected.

It is interesting that raising is the hard part for you, I think the challanging part is playing these hands after the flop.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

06-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Raise and reraise from any position at any time: JJ QQ KK AA (I usually limp with JJ in the blinds unless there's 2 or less limpers)

Raise 2 or less limpers from any position, otherwise limp; usually 3-bet with: TT 99

Raise 1 limper from LP, limp if 2+ limpers; open raise in MP/LP: 88 77 66

Limp if 3+ limpers and little chance of a raise behind; never open with: 55 44 33 22

Otherwise muck. I don't open limp with any pocket pair other than 88, maybe 77, in EP, and I feel bad about doing that. In fact I barely ever open limp. A lot of this of course depends on the tightness of the blinds and tightness of game in general - playing this way in a "6 players for 1 small bet" type game would be unproductive. Hope that helps.

06-28-2002, 06:26 PM
I realize variying your play to the game is important

In low-limit games, this is not true. You can play in a very straightforward manner and beat the game. Most of your opponents will not be aware of how well/bad you are playing. They will be making their decisions based soley on the two cards they see in front of them and their limited understanding of the game.

Varying your game becomes important when your opponents play well and are adjusting to the way you play. This occurs when your opponents are (1) good players or (2)decent players who you play against regularly.

06-28-2002, 11:20 PM
I think that having some awareness of your table image here helps also. If players seem to be respecting your raises, re-raises etc, then the fact that they may put you on a higher hand can give raising with such hands as 9-9 and t-t more value. Playing a 1-4-8-8 game at the Sahara last week, I was having a good run and getting a lot of respect from the table. I raised early with pockets nines and raised again with the flop came 10-q-rag. Three oponents folded. I heard the big blind tell his wife in a low voice "I knew better than to call a raise with q-7."

06-29-2002, 06:07 PM
I won't say never, but there are few players in So. Cal. low-limit games who won't call you all the way with Q7 after seeing a Q-high flop, although raising with 99 may induce someone preflop to chuck it who would otherwise call.