PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river?

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 01:38 AM
3 handed 50-100.

No one has been getting way out of line or nutty. Button open raises, I 3-bet from the SB with Ac8h. BB calls, button calls. 3 to the flop for 9sbs.

Flop: As Js 4c. I bet, BB and button call.

Turn: 3d. I bet, BB and button call.

River: Kc. I bet. For whatever reason, I wasn't thrilled with betting here in this spot..........

Mikey
05-07-2004, 01:47 AM
what's the time charge in that game?

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 01:48 AM
$7/half hour.

Vehn
05-07-2004, 02:31 AM
ehhh?

nummerfire
05-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Maybe because you think you should try to induce a bluff instead ?

Kim

GuyOnTilt
05-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey Clark,

Couple questions:

Where do they spread 50/100 in LV? I don't think I've really ever noticed or heard of that limit being spread, at least in the LA area. I'm guessing they spread 15/30, 30/60, 50/100? Or was it a 40/80 that was consentually bumped?

How big of a threat was there for a river raise here and what was your plan if it happened? If the BB calls and the Button raises, you have a hard time calling unless you and the Button are thinking on more levels than your usual opponent.

FWIW, with the limited info you gave I would play it the same as you did on every street up to now.

GoT

Steve Giufre
05-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi Clark,

I agree with GoT that you have to be fairly sure niether of these guys is likely to bluff raise you on the river if you're gonna fire. You are looking at a very tough call if you are raised on the end. It's close, but I think you need to bet here. You arn't inducing a bluff with that board and the previous action. I dont see a better hand checking behind, and most all hands that beat yours have an easy bet, and you will be forced to call. However there are probably a few worse hands that will call your river bet, so I go ahead and put it in. If you check and you are beat, your money is going to go in anyway, so you may as well bet in case someone holds a smaller ace, or gets desparate with a jack.

Gabe
05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
If both of your opponents are retarded you should bet. On the other hand, if neither of them is a retard, then betting may be retarded.

Diplomat
05-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I'd check. I think at best you are a thin favourate. What do you do if the big blind bets and the button calls?

-Diplomat

worm33
05-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Your 3 handed, you got top pair and nobody has shown any strength yet. The king aint the best card in the world but its better than a jack. I think the only hands that can beat you know that wearnt ahead of you before are the buttons possibility of having king jack, and the bb having q10 of spades.

andyfox
05-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Troublemaker.

skp
05-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I would say it's a good bet despite the fact that the King is not a great river card (i.e. KJ, QT just got there). But if you check and face a bet from say KJ, you will have to call, So, betting and being raised by KJ (and calling that raise) results in a net loss of 1 big bet. But I would think that betting and being called by worse hands (when they might have also checked if you check) gets that loss of 1 big bet back and then some.

What might tip the scales in favor of a check is the propensity of your opponents (and in particular the button who acts last) to bet a King for value if you check. If he does that, that's the same as you betting and him calling with a King while avoiding being raised by KJ, QT.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 01:40 PM
The $50-$100 has been going at the Nugget.

cosmo kramer
05-07-2004, 01:46 PM
$50-100 is way over my head, but I bet. If you check, I think you open yourself up to being pushed off the best hand. I would hate for the BB to bet and button raise after I checked, when I could still have the best hand.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 01:47 PM
I really felt like to have two opponents on the river there was a good chance that someone had A9, AT, or that they were both on draws. I also didn't want to pay off a raise if they made 2 pair.

OTOH, I bet simply because I figured it was the old "more worse hands will call than bet" thing. But I don't know how true that is because the worse hands I am most likely to be called by are weak aces, and won't weak aces bet if I check the river?

Anyways, I bet and both opponents called. I tabled, BB peered at the board and the button didn't immediately muck. So I basically figured I had BB but the button overcalled with the winner. As it turned out, BB had Ah5h, button had A6o (they both showed) and my hand was good. So I guess that answers Gabe's question.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$50-100 is way over my head, but I bet. If you check, I think you open yourself up to being pushed off the best hand. I would hate for the BB to bet and button raise after I checked, when I could still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a chance this might have happened. Button said that he actually called because he had put the BB on a flush draw that made a king on the river.

Philuva
05-07-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Button said that he actually called because he had put the BB on a flush draw that made a king on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see he was following the "always put your opponent on a hand that you can beat" rule.

Gabe
05-07-2004, 02:02 PM
I forgot you were in the SB. Am I retarded or what?

elysium
05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
hi clark
betting isn't that bad here. i'd check-call hoping to snap off a bluff of the busted draw, and also be a little squeemish about a possible completed straight or two pair, but it's a tough call. will betting get a weak A to fold in this spot? just possible clark. that's what makes this one a close call. i'd check-call it though.

offTopic
05-07-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If both of your opponents are retarded you should bet. On the other hand, if neither of them is a retard, then betting may be retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of Clark's opponents thus far has taken any action that would retard Clark's betting, so there is no reason for Clark to think his continuing to bet would be retarded in any way. However, checking and calling might be the best course of action on the river, since a call and an overcall, or a raise and a cold-call would leave Clark not feeling so gay.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of Clark's opponents thus far has taken any action that would retard Clark's betting, so there is no reason for Clark to think his continuing to bet would be retarded in any way. However, checking and calling might be the best course of action on the river, since a call and an overcall, or a raise and a cold-call would leave Clark not feeling so gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I folded the winner because of a bet and a raise, it could be a crippling blow to my session. I'd hate to butcher a hand like that by playing it like a little girl.

andyfox
05-07-2004, 06:52 PM
I knew Gabe was a troublemaker.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 07:01 PM
As usual Mr. Fox, you were correct. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just had a thought. If I called him an instigating bastard, would that be offensive to all the fatherless children out there? Because if not, he definitely is.

offTopic
05-07-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...and his tires are retreaded.

Gabe
05-08-2004, 04:30 AM
I’m going to refrain from calling Clark a son of a bitch, out of respect for Canine-Americans.