PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody have done different?

sublime
05-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 7 BB, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (7 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 8d 6d (flush, ten high).
Hero shows 5h 5c (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: SB wins 7 BB. </font>

sin808
05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
looks pretty good. I run into this quite a bit. I might not have raised the flop with a 3 flush out. That might be incorrect, but it seems the majority of the time I see this type of a hand I'm outdone by a flush. It's hard to lay down a set though, something I clearly need to learn to do.

Joe Tall
05-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Would anybody have done different?

Yes, lose a lot more money.

Peace,
Joe Tall

thirddan
05-07-2004, 01:18 AM
cap the flop...bet the turn if it is non /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

mat
05-07-2004, 01:35 AM
play this even harder on the flop then at least call down if you are really up against a flush. you know youre getting great odds to hit your full

ZootMurph
05-07-2004, 08:25 AM
I'd have lost a lot more also. I push a set more in this situation... until the river. You have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river if he has the flush, so I'd push it more.

DoctorDrew
05-07-2004, 09:35 AM
I would have played it the same. He keeps pushing back on the flop. He must have a big hand. I doubt he would have 3bet top two pair if he is a typical party-er.

Nice move on the turn, smelled like a checkraise didn't it?
Unimproved you could make an argument for a fold on the river IF you had a good read on the player. Otherwise call and expect to see a flush.

sublime
05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, lose a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figured I would hear that, if it had been a normal session I would have pushed, I had lost to 2 runner/runner flushes already in the past 30 mins. Regardless, I know I played this weakly. Thanks for the feedback guys.

On the bright side, I had a feeling I played this weak/tight. At least I learned a cheap lesson.

Shalara
05-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I would cap the flop. I bet the turn when checked to. He could have a flush. He could also have AT, and be setting me up for a check-raise. He could have T9, a straight or flush draw {lone A, K, or Q}... any number of hands. And I've still got 7 ways to fill up. I'd only slow down if yet another coordinated card hit. I always play flopped sets hard, even if the board is nasty-looking.

But I wouldn't have called 55 in early.

Vazh
05-07-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I wouldn't have called 55 in early.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought. Does everyone here play any pair from any position if you think you can get in for 1 bet?

B Dids
05-07-2004, 01:57 PM
After the "if you can't limp with 22 UTG you need to find a new table" discussion I do.

RcrdBoy
05-07-2004, 02:19 PM
If you can get in cheaply and then release on the flop if you don't hit your set then why not?

Flopped sets can rake some huge pots and as has been pointed out in this thread there are usually a lot of outs to a FH.

Mike

Shalara
05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
This is why I don't: I like to know there will be people with me when I hit my set. I also like to get in cheap. Could be a raise behind me. Then I'm stuck for 2+ bets, and while they pay off well, the odds are still something like 8:1 against hitting them in the first place.

I realize not everyone agrees, but that's my take on it: see the flop as cheaply as possible, and make sure you have position. I don't like low pocket pairs in early.

sublime
05-07-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize not everyone agrees, but that's my take on it: see the flop as cheaply as possible, and make sure you have position. I don't like low pocket pairs in early.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a raise in behind you and you hit, its even better. In all honesty, if you are not playing small pocket pairs from ANY position, you are leaving a lot of cash on the table.

Its not even debateable to be honest.

Joe Tall
05-07-2004, 03:45 PM
if it had been a normal session I would have pushed, I had lost to 2 runner/runner flushes already in the past 30 mins

Time for "Zen and the Art of Poker" by Larry Phillips and "Inside the Poker Mind" by John Feeney.

Buy them, soon.

Peace,
Joe Tall

charlie_t_jr
05-07-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Its not even debateable to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this has been debated in the past, and I tend to agree with others, that you need to be "selective" with small pocket pairs up front.

If the table had been playing tight, I don't think I would've called either.

If I'm wrong about this, some one show me the light, I'm here to learn. But the way I look at, you need to be getting a certain price for a call, so if your not getting suffiecient callers behind you, your losing money. If you don't get enough callers and somebody raises...your losing money. If you call and don't get enough callers, and you hit your set and don't get paid off...your losing money. If you habitually call with small pocket pairs up front without the correct price, on the wrong type table, over the long haul....you lose money.

Where is my thinking wrong? Yes call with small pocket pairs when the conditions are met...but if your not getting the price preflop, even if your not raised, your losing money, no?

sublime
05-07-2004, 04:18 PM
It the implied odds where you make your money with small PP's. They are hidden well and are most adventageous when you are up against players who will not let go of TPTK no matter what.

Dids said it best when he quoted somebody else. If playing pocket pairs is an issue at your table, change tables.

B Dids
05-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Giving credit where credit is due...Somebody else being Bison...

And I'll add that taking that advice has helped my game a lot.

charlie_t_jr
05-07-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dids said it best when he quoted somebody else. If playing pocket pairs is an issue at your table, change tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was looking to be convinced to play more small pp, but sublime, I don't think this does it. I read the thread a while back with the small pp discussion. I think at 50/1 and the loose passive 1/2 tables this is fine...but surely you have noticed a difference in the tightness since moving to 1/2. I'm not sure the table you were on met the requiremnts...but that was just one hand, maybe you expected more callers behind you.

Small pp is a hand I've become more selective with since moving to 1/2...maybe I can play more when I get to the "looser" 2/4 tables /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saborion
05-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Time for "Zen and the Art of Poker" by Larry Phillips

Good? Well I assume it is since you recommended it, but since I only read/heard about it like once before, I'm a bit curious as to "how" good it is. Oh well, off to amazon and have a look now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif