PDA

View Full Version : ATo from SB

flexus
05-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Ladbrokes Poker 0.5/1 (10-handed)

extremely loose table (about 70 % of the players seing the flop in most hands).

Hero is SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

preflop: UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 folds, CO limps, button limps, Hero completes, BB checks

flop: (7sb) 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks, BB bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls

turn: (7.5 BB) 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif (6 players)
Hero checks, BB bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, button folds, Hero folds

river: (10.5 BB) J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks

MP1 shows 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and takes it.

This is one of these hands that I have no idea at all how to play. When I checked on the flop i was hoping to cr a late position bettor, but instead the bet came directly from my left. Should I therefor just call? or even fold given the ultra-outdraw-board? This is one of them situations where I am almost always sure (and almost always right) that if I am not beat already i will be beat with that amount of callers and that board.

I know my thinking is prolly completely wrong on this one, which is why I am posting.

Do not be afraid to be Harsh, just give it to me. That way I will learn.

Thanks in advance.

LeftBack
05-06-2004, 07:41 PM
The good news: you got a cheap look at the blind.

The bad news: you got top pair with top kicker against a probable flush draw.

Sure would like to know why BB was leading. If not for him, MP1 probably would have become a little more obvious. No one challenged him, so I guess his hand fell apart.

Your hand never improved from the flop, yet the flush and straight draw hands improved on the turn and the river. There are a lot of hands that would beat a pair of tens. It's not hard to envision J9, 87, 56, XXd. Medium pairs like TT, 88, 77, are probably going to wait for a set before they get too excited, as you witnessed.

I would have bailed, probably at the flop, with that many people calling, in the face of flush and straight draws, but I don't do well with AXo.

This is a typical result, in my book.

flexus
05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
thanks for responding. Anyone else who folds on the flop?

Any comments on my intention to CR the flop?

thx alot

ZootMurph
05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
You got top pair top kicker, and you checked the flop... why? As far as you know at this point, you have the best hand. Bet it. If you get raised, then you can be wary of the straight or set and call. Better still, check/raise it and see what happens.

On the turn, the straight seems all too likely with all the preflop limpers. Check and fold if you were raised on the flop. If you were just called, bet out again.

On the river, a bigger card falls, plus a larger chance of a straight AND a flush draw. Can't imagine calling here, but I'd bet out with only two opponents if they haven't shown you any resistance.

In general, you have to be the aggressor on hands like this until someone tells you otherwise (raises you). You are winning here most of the time. Also, in the Small Blind you have very bad position. Raising preflop at least makes them fearful when you come out betting on the flop, and may have been a good play in this case. In any case, if you had played this aggressively, you may have taken down the hand, although MP1 may have called you down.

BTW, what did BB have? He was the bettor on flop and turn.

Shalara
05-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I like the idea of a check-raise. Problem is, there's two of a suit, and a possible straight draw out there from anyone with a 9. So I'd be pretty leery of giving out a potentially free card. I'd come out betting.

I don't know if I'd check-call or check-fold the turn. The possibility of a straight is so high with that many people. I'm surprised not to see one. I think check-folding is the better option; good play.

flexus
05-07-2004, 07:35 PM
I was actually planning to checkraise the flop, but I was hoping the bet would come from an LP, instead it came from the player right to my left. By raising here with that many callers I felt I am only putting more money in a pot which I am not a favourite to win with that board and the amount of players in the pot.

On the turn you suggest that I should check and fold If I were raised on the flop. Is it the combined chance that a player already had me beat on the flop and the addtional possibility that oen of the callers made their straght that makes you want to fold here? Fish dont usually raise their draws on the flop, or do they?

Basicly, both the turn and the river delivered additional scare cards to the board. Why should I bet out on the river? With that many callers some of them almost has to have been on either the straight or flush draw, right? (ironicly, this was obviously not the case since the flopped set took the pot)

I think BB showed T 8 or something for flopped two pair. I am not sure though.

As you can see there are still many things that are not clear to me about this hand, and I would glad if you would take the time to try to help me out.

Thanks very much for responding.

SofaCoach
05-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Top pair-top kicker on flop, BET. Yes it is a scary board, but it is just as scary to everyone else without a 9 or two diamonds. Even if they have one of the above, they are scared of the other.

Bet the flop and turn until someone tells you you are beat.

B Dids
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
As I mentioned in another post, to me (save the draws on board) Ten high is a GREAT flop for AT. Bet than hand- especially against a drawing board and chase them away (or at least tax them for staying). At the same time- it isn't such a great hand that going for the CR makes sense.