PDA

View Full Version : STARS NL RING vs PARTY NL RING.

Baulucky
05-06-2004, 03:31 PM
What are the main adjustments to the games?.

I'm a real neophyte at NL, but have done real well %wise over the last 2 weeks at Stars lowest of the low NL games (which have a max. buyin of 250 BBs). The rest of STARS games have a max. buyin of only 100 BBs, and PARTY's are smaller. I don't think I was doing anything particularly well, except playing ultra-tight and exploiting the implied odds.

Any reccomendations for Party's games?.

lorinda
05-06-2004, 03:38 PM
At Party you have to play tighter than at Stars because you don't get the same implied odds.

Lori

Cptkernow
05-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I dont play much NL ring but surely you get better implied odds at Party.

Party= more fish =more calls = better implied odds.

Am I going wrong somewhere ?

MS Sunshine
05-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Lori, are you drinking?

MS Sunshine

jasonHoldEm
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
The stacks aren't as deep at Party (50 BB stacks vs. 100 BB stacks).

jHE

lorinda
05-06-2004, 03:47 PM
The fishiness of the game doesn't really counter the short stack that party give you.

At Stars you get 100 big blinds, not just the 50 you get at Party.

Lori

La Brujita
05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Actually Lorinda (wasn't it Lori posting on the Zoo?) is correct because at Party you can only buy in for 50x bb while at stars it is 100x bb.

Regards

lorinda
05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
The fishiness of the game doesn't really counter the short stack that party give you.

Lori

lorinda
05-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Lori

MS Sunshine
05-06-2004, 04:27 PM
That's not completely true. In practice, most Stars players, expect the grinders, don't buy the max in the $1-2 blind NLH games. At Party the same game has only a $100 buyin, but everyone buyins for that amount. At Stars many buyin below $100, even though it's a $200 buyin game.

MS Sunshine

Baulucky
05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks all. Yes, I have noticed that many players at STARS buyin for less than half the max buyin. I try to find games with at least 4-5 players with a full buyin stack or sligthly higher (because I want a chance at doubling while having the lowest costs). But I think some of the small stacks use their size to their advantage, sometimes. I still have to learn how to adjust for this and how to use my larger stack to bully them.

Another rookie question: At which limits the finer points of play come alive?. So far my "technique" has been limited to peddling the nuts or close, and have bluffed rather seldomly. I also find that one has to "build" the pot at STARS and to slowplay a lot to win relatively big pots. I hate giving free cards away, but I'm almost forced to do it, otherwise I take only very small pots. That being said I have had disproportionate success in terms of BBs per hour than anything I had done before at limit poker, but I know I'm not a great player at either NL or limit. I think it might be my abilities in trapping which have almost no value at limit poker, that have made the difference.

Thanks for all input once again.

Robk
05-06-2004, 07:02 PM
If the buyin were only 10BB your implied odds would be terrible. So you would play really tight?

lorinda
05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
So you would play really tight?

No, at that level I'd play the same tightness as 25BB but more aggressively.

Lori