PDA

View Full Version : Top set on a straight-y board... Just the right speed?

JerseyTom
05-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Lately, I've been having a problem with my 2nd nut hands running into THE nuts. I thought I was past seeing monsters under the bed, but lately the monsters have been all too real.

So, what does it take to convince YOU, dear reader, that you're behind in this hand (or behind in general)?

Pacific Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Pre-flop: JerseyTom is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="purple">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="purple">JerseyTom 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Given that UTG+1 only calls the 3-bet, I rule out AA and start thinking a smaller pair than mine or a big ace.

Flop: (14.5 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="purple">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="purple">JerseyTom raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="purple">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="purple">JerseyTom caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG+2 calls.

Hit his set of jacks or tens... Or flopped the straight?

Turn: (15.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="purple">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="purple">JerseyTom raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="purple">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, JerseyTom calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

OK, I think I'm convinced now...

River: (27.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="purple">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="purple">JerseyTom raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, UTG+2 calls.

Salvation?

Final pot: 31.25 BB
Results in white below:
<font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Ah Qd (straight, ace high)
JerseyTom shows Kd Ks (full house, king over ten)

JerseyTom wins 31.25 BB
</font>

Thoughts?

thirddan
05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
i think you played this one fine...

namknils
05-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't raise the turn in this hand. He calls your flop cap and then bets out at you again, it usually means he's strong. On second thought you have a set of Kings, hmm... Ok I guess I do play this the same as you did. If I had the set of Jacks or Tens then I wouldn't raise the turn.