PDA

View Full Version : Another icky KQo

06-27-2002, 07:37 PM
I've been in this 1/2 online game for about 5 minutes and don't know much about the players.

I'm dealt KdQc on the button. Utg +1 ("EP") limps. Folded to me. I raise hoping to get heads up, blinds fold, EP calls.

Flop 4h Qh Js. Checked to me, I bet, EP calls.

Turn Kc [4h Qh Js]. Checked to me, I check and get check raised. Hmmm, I've got top two, but a gutshot just got there. A fleeting, "nah there's no way he called with AT" goes through my head, so I reraise and he caps it. Of course I never considered T9. I've seen plenty of people in this type of game cap the turn with two pair, but I'm pretty sure he has a straight.

River 7s [Kc 4h Qh Js]. EP bets, I make a crying call even though I'm practically certain he has the str8.

Question 1: should I have slowed down after the check raise on the turn? I know I made a critical mistake of thinking since I wouldn't draw to a gutshot headsup an opponent wouldn't, but floating in my head was the notion that I often see folks go for a checkraise with two pair.

Question 2: after EP's cap on the turn, which in retrospect (tho unfortunately not at the time) screamed STRAIGHT!, should I have folded to the reraise?

Question 3: is there any way to avoid losing money on a hand like this?

As always, thanks for the help ...

06-27-2002, 07:37 PM
He turns over AT for the made gutshot on the turn.

06-28-2002, 12:11 AM
After he checkraises the turn I would just call down unless I fill up on the river.

Suppose you 3-bet and he caps it. I would still call down but your chances of snapping a bluff on the river are significantly reduced.

06-28-2002, 12:11 AM
"Question 1: should I have slowed down after the check raise on the turn? I know I made a critical mistake of thinking since I wouldn't draw to a gutshot headsup an opponent wouldn't, but floating in my head was the notion that I often see folks go for a checkraise with two pair."

Slowing down here is pretty borderline, but I've learned the hard way that if you are check-raised here in low-limit games, you will very often be looking at a straight. The play pre-flop, on the flop and on the turn is also very familiar with low-limit players' play of an AT, T9s or even T9o.

Another problem with your re-raise is that is has no 'free-showdown' edge in it, a timid opponent may just call the three-bet and check the river with T9, but then you will be tempted to continue betting your two top anyway. I actually would've liked the play better with a three-flush on the board too (particularly if you hold the K or Q of that suit). Two worse pairs may still check-raise the turn, but the straight and even low flushes will slow down to a three-bet. An in this case, you SHOULD take a free showdown with an unimproved two pair.

His call on the flop is not particularly bad. If the Ace is not an out, he certainly has some implied odds on hitting his gutshot, and in the cases - like this one - where the Ace is an out, he has seven outs, which supports a flop call. Taking one off in limit Hold'em with gutshots is not neccesarily bad poker, let alone *very* bad poker.

"Question 2: after EP's cap on the turn, which in retrospect (tho unfortunately not at the time) screamed STRAIGHT!, should I have folded to the reraise?"

You cannot fold to a re-raise. Now it's *you* who is holding the implied odds. You will get a double bet on the end, and even if you suspect your opponent will check if the board pairs (which more often than not is GOOD for you given that there are 3 Jacks and 3 Sevens out there, but just four cards that give you the house), thus leaving you with a single bet on the river to show for your efforts, you should call.

"Question 3: is there any way to avoid losing money on a hand like this?"

No, but you should strongly consider putting on the brakes when check-raised on the turn in this particular situation, and you should also consider saving a bet on the river (although I know this is though) when you don't fill up after being capped on the turn.

Your reasons for a raise pre-flop also seemed to fail this time; Why want to play KQ vs AT heads-up? If the early limper is of the tight kind, you should consider merely calling pre-flop.

lars