PDA

View Full Version : Could I get some guidance here?

DamnRiver
05-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Few hands I ran into yesterday afternoon... I could use all the insight you've got on these. Results for most to follow.

Hand #1 - Any comments on the play here? The hand should speak for itself.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font>

Hand #2
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Damned, flopped an OESD...I bet to see what I was up against and to pump my straight, this correct?

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

No help, checked to see if I could get a read on button

River: (4.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

If he didn't like the turn he's not going to like the river..and MHIG

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 4.75 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 5h 5s (two pair, eights and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 5.75 BB. </font>

Hand #3 - There was a LOT of blind stealing this orbit so I completed, then flopped top pair with a lousy kicker. I should not have been in this hand. I know that. I should have checked the turn. Side Note: Put MP3 on a hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

As far as I can tell I could have been behind or slightly ahead. I feel I should have check/called now and I really should have folded to the raise on the flop.

River: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Then a miracle happens... So, what does MP3 have?

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

Hand #4 - I received no resistance here. What could I have done to get a better read? Agree or disagree with the play in general?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

Hand #5 - Strange strange hand. Put UTG+1 on a hand

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Figured MP1 was check-raising so I decided to take the free card on a scary board...bad play?

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Hello? Where'd you come from? And where did MP1 go? Cap PF, check the flop and fold the turn? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

River: (8.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

See the "SUCKER" tattoo this guy put on my forehead? Would checking been the correct option? I figured there's no way in hell this guy played a J8 or 58 through a capped PF.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

rigoletto
05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
#1: reraise the turn, check-call the river. On the river you are either facing a bluff (and you'd like him to bluff again) a split (not worth fighting over) or a K (not worth losing more money). You could of course be up against 33 but I doubt he would raise the river.

#2: bet the turn and see what he's made of. If he had KK you would still have called the turn and the river, so you don't lose more by calling a raise on the turn. Don't bet the river here, you are not folding a better hand or getting called by a worse one and would like to snap of a bluff from him.

#3: Fold preflop

#4: check the river no better hand will fold but you might still have the best hand.

#5: Bet the flop, you are not afraid of the check raise since you can safely fold to it instead of the mess you got yourself into.

Lost Wages
05-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Hand 1)
You should generally check and fold 2nd pair no kicker on the flop with 4 opponents.

Hand 2)
I bet to see what I was up against
This flop doesn't figure to help a preflop raiser, of course he doesn't need help if he has a big pair. The problem with betting is that he is likely to raise you with overcards or an overpair which doesn't help you figure out where you are at. I would prefer a checkraise since this board should be scary to a preflop raiser. If he doesn't 3-bet then lead the turn, he will probably lay down overcards at that point. Even if he calls with an overpair you still have outs.

and to pump my straight, this correct?
You can't pump a straight draw for value with just one opponent.

Hand 3)
You're right, fold preflop.

Hand 4)
No need to bet the river. If he was on a draw your AQ will take it down. If he has any pair he will call. You are not the favorite to have the best hand when you are called.

Hand 5)
I would have bet the flop and folded to a checkraise, a free card isn't likely to do you much good.

Lost Wages

Ralph Wiggum
05-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Caution: Ralph ain't no poker guru.

Hand 1:
I would have check/folded the flop. If checked around, I would have bet the turn. I like your turn and river play. Looks like a split pot to me.

Hand 2:
I would have folded PF, but that may be just a difference in playing style. I'm not a fan of low PP. The rest of the streets look good, no reason to put him on a ten, so I think boths ends of the OESD are good. Turn check has me thinking that he was also on a draw, but I like the river bet.

Hand 3:
You know about PF. I like the flop bet. I'm stumped myself on this turn. Sometimes I throw in a bet like this if I think the player might have been on a draw, but I feel like he's definitely got a real hand. I may have played it the same way, but I think I would have to advise check/folding the turn. Once you bet and he raises, you have 7BB in the pot. Personaly, I'm doubtful that your two (maybe just one) T outs are good (I think he's got AT-to-8T or a set). So you have your four gutshot outs, and maybe another two outs with your 6. For 6-outs, do I call this? Nice bet on the river.

Hand 4:
I might have given up either on the turn or river, or I might have played it the same way. By the river, I don't see this guy on a draw (I'm thinking PP, A5, A3), I may have checked, hoping he'd do the same, and fold to a raise. I may have even check/folded the turn, and if it checked turn, I might throw a bet on the river. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to optimally play in these situations.

Hand 5:
[ QUOTE ]
I figured there's no way in hell this guy played a J8 or 58 through a capped PF.

[/ QUOTE ] J8 wouldn't do him much good, but T8 might. Also I could see K /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, or any two clubs if he's loves the paint. 85 is unlikely, T8s is possible is he's loose, and any two clubs is also likely. Anyways, you should have bet the flop. Get yourself check-raised on the flop (1 SB) is better than calling a turn bet and getting check-raised on the river (3 BB).

Ralph's 0.02

SoCalPat
05-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Hand 1: I don't like betting out here with 2nd pair, weak kicker, but if I'm getting 7-1 when it comes back to me, I'll take one off. For your sake, I hope your opponent has 33 here, cuz I think you're chopping at best.

Hand 2: I don't jam the ignorant ends of straight draws, much less when it's a one-card straight I'm drawing to.

Hand 3: You're right ... you never should've completed. Your biggest fear on this flop is overcards. Those holding them won't fold for one bet, but they will for two. I'd hope for a late-position bettor to bet out and go for the C/R to thin the field. It's your only chance of winning without improving, IMO.

Hand 4: I don't think you want to be called here, and your opponent likely won't bet out with anything less than top pair, while he'd probably have raised with it somewhere. I'd check/fold here.

Hand 5: You have to bet out the flop here. You have position, there's no guarantee an A is out there and you might get anyone holding a K to fold. If you're C/R'ed, you have an easy fold right then and there. But you never gave yourself a chance to see if your hand was good.

flexus
05-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Hand 1. What are you doing betting that flop? check/fold on the flop. Middle pair no kicker is not a betting hand..especially not with four people still in the pot.

Hand 2. I think you played it fine. I might have mucked preflop after two people before me doing so.

Hand 3. definitely fold preflop. No way you are seing the flop with that hand, not even for half a bet. Inthis particular hand there was not even an attempt to steal any blinds so what are you talking about here?

I thinīk the bet on the flop is fine, but fold to the flop raise or check/fold on turn. Especially since you put MP3 on a hand. Would he raise you on the flop with a worse hand than yours? The only exeption would be if you think MP3 might have raised to get a free card on the turn.

Hand 4. Seriously, skip the turn and the river bet. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STEAL THE POT. check/fold on the turn and move on to the next hand.

Hand 5. check the river through.

DamnRiver
05-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Hand #1
Pot won by Hero (14 BB).
Hero shows 6d Tc (full house, tens full of kings).
MP2 shows Qd 9d (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 14 BB.

Hand #3
Pot won by Hero (10 BB).
Hero shows Tc 6h (straight, ten high).
MP3 shows Ad As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB.
<font color="red"> Slowplay AA at your own risk! </font>
Ironically if he raised PF I'd have folded

Hand #4
Pot won by Button (9.25 BB).
Hero shows Qc Ac (one pair, nines).
Button shows 8h 8s (two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: Button wins 9.25 BB.

Hand #5
Pot won by UTG+1 (12.75 BB).
UTG+1 shows Ah As (three of a kind, aces). /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Hero shows Jc Js (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 12.75 BB.