PDA

View Full Version : Image and others' images, a fun hand for me only

Schneids
05-06-2004, 01:42 PM
I got a rare visit into the Canterbury last night and delighted to get many hours of short handed 15/30.

In this particular hand I recognize UTG as a player that typically plays 6/12 and 8/16. When he bought in he only bought in for 400. He was playing pretty tight/passive and it appeared to me he was playing with scared money. He presently has around 200.
Button is aggressive. He's capable of trying to put a move on someone. He has raised a PFR's bet on an AJx board with 77 and then lead the rest of the way until checking through on the river. He fancies himself as a player, and at the same time is capable of making tough laydowns. It definitely feels like he's been pressing a bit much in the past hour, however.

Me. I am playing tight right now. Mainly have been getting crap cards, but have plugging here and there and keeping afloat whilst maintaining a mega-tight image. I can't call it tight-aggressive because I haven't had many hands to push, so, the table may view me as passive. I think they're observant enough to have noticed this, but maybe not.

The game has just become 5-handed, and I am in the BB with 99.

UTG raises, button cold calls, SB folds, I 3-bet, UTG and Button both call. There are times that I like to call and then lead out on any flop with 1 or less overcards, but I figure I have a weak tight image to capitalize on, and with the added fact UTG might be playing on scared money I think makes the hand easier to play, as he will only raise a future bet of mine when I'm sunk. Note if he had $100 instead of $200 I may opt to not raise because by that point he might try to simply get all in postflop and I'm no longer able to read easily his hand strength. Sound good?

Flop: Q22 rainbow. I bet, UTG folds, button hesistates a few seconds and raises. I grab for 3 chips, count to three in my head, go back for another 3, and 3-bet. Button, now visibly annoyed, calls.

Turn: Ace, completing the rainbow. I bet. Button stares at his hand for a good minute at least, shakes his head, then throws his hand in the muck.

As I drag the pot UTG asks me, "could you have beaten an ace?" I simply tell him "I had a good hand."

After the 15 breaks I talk to a buddy playing 30/60 and we talk about that hand, and he tells me he saw that the button had KQ (the 30 is right behind the 15 and he was watching this hand while taking a breather from his game).

I play goot live.

stripsqueez
05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me. I am playing tight right now. Mainly have been getting crap cards

[/ QUOTE ]

i still get the odd live game in but i have no legal games where i live so its a bit of a drama when you are a crown solicitor - commiting criminal offences that is

when i do get to play live it always feels like this - i'm sure its the comparison of playing short handed on-line - an action junkies dream - i usually play manilla when i play live - without describing the game in detail its like hold'em but played with 7's up - normally its a full school which is 13 players - i would guess that its right for me to see maybe 12-15% of the flops - playing this game makes it very easy to wait for the right hands 3 tabling 6 max games on-line

i make the effort to play live which is nowhere near as profitable partly for the social aspect of it (although the games are generally populated by some dodgy guys) - but mostly because it reminds me about human nature which is easy to forget looking at a computer screen

i really like your reasoning for the pre-flop 3 bet - bluffing first of 3 would not be a typical thing to do - what you say about short stacked guys is right - its information i regularly use on-line

stripsqueez - chickenhawk