PDA

View Full Version : SNG vs. NL Small Stakes

gmunny
05-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I play mainly $33 stt's on party and wanted to try the small stakes NL, like $25 min buy-in. Does anyone else play these and can offer some tips or differences in play vs. SNG's? I mean I understand the blinds don't escalate and if you go bust, you can re-load, but is it more like a limit game? What other adjustments would I need to think about? Thanks for any help.
G$

t_perkin
05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
You have to be careful, you can lose and make money very quickly in NLring.

There is no beginning, middle and end, like in SnGs, it is just one hand after another.

I find the bad beats much more sickening in ring than SnGs.

But there is a lot of money to be made.

Watching players is more important.

You can sit down at a table where there is a player that you know is better than you and still extract money from the other players knowing that you can avoid ever having to confront the shark.

just my thoughts, but I haven't played any NL for a couple of months.

I can't write you a whole strategy guide read some books and post on the NL/PL forum.

Tim

CrisBrown
05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Hi gmunny,

It sounds as if you play at PartyPoker, because you mention the buy-in amount, rather than the blinds. If so, and if you have a sufficient bankroll to cover $33 SNGs (say, $600 or so), then I'd probably play the $.50/1 ($50 max buy-in) ring games, rather than the smaller ones.

The micro-limit NL tables play almost like play chips, from what I've seen. That is, you'll see mostly community pots, and three- or four-way action all the way to the river. At PartyPoker, where the money is shallow (only 50xBB max buy-in), almost any raised pot is likely to end up all in. So you're pretty much limited to nut-peddling: waiting for and showing down best hands. If you have incredible patience, and can weather several expensive bad beats, these tables can be profitable. But they can also be very frustrating.

Also, do read the posts in the PL/NL forum, as you will find some sage advice there. I especially like to read posts by limon, MattFlynn, turnipmonster, Ulysses, jen, and a few others whose names I can't recall at the moment. All are experienced, high-stakes B&M NL players, and while not all of their posts will apply to micro-limit online games, their general approach to the game is still worthwhile. I would also recommend Fossilman's posts in the MTT forum, as he generally writes about NL from a cash game perspective.

Hope this helps,

Cris

AleoMagus
05-06-2004, 02:29 PM
First, Read this great post

ArtVandelay's general advice on big bet hold'em (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=305723&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=3672&Match=Username&Searchpag e=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=305723&Search=true# Post305723)

After reading that, the first thing you will be thinking is "geez, that's not how I play SNGs at all"

Well, yeah, that's what I was thinking too. SNGs do not play a lot like actual NL ring games. In SNGs you will find yourself going all-in pretty often, especially as the blinds increase. In NL ring play, you can't do this as much without a really good hand.

To make the transition less painful, I'd start out on a site like party where the stacks are not as deep. This actually does play a bit more like SNGs and the players are abysmal. I would bet that you could make money on the party $25NL just playing pocket pairs and AK and limping with every hand except AA,KK, and AK. I'm serious.

Hope that link helps
Brad S

gmunny
05-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the advice/comments Brad, Chris and Tim! I'll start reading the PLNL forum and will also order a book or two on the subject. I really like the SNG tourneys, but wanted to try something else.

ThaSaltCracka
05-07-2004, 02:15 PM
several pieces of advice for the NL ring games:
1. Don't be as aggresive, you are almost always going to be playing a full table. Weak A's and K's will get you killed. Respect peoples raises.
2. Play more straight up poker. Bluffing is harder in ring games.
3. Play more drawing hands when the pot odds are there.
4. pay attention to your opponents more. The fish are more prevalent and they are easier to spot.
5. be more patient for hands, remember blinds don't go up, so why play the A4s hoping for the miracle flop, when you can wait for the AKs and bust someones bankroll /images/graemlins/grin.gif