PDA

View Full Version : Nifty move or reckless play?

Nightwish
05-06-2004, 02:58 AM
The setting is a soft Party 15/30 game. One obvious fish in EMP, another semi-fish in the CO, the rest of the players all a little too loose but not too aggressive.

I raise UTG with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif, the big fish in EMP unfortunately folds, but I get a call from the semi-fish in the CO, a relatively unknown player on the button, and a decent player in the BB.

The flop is

A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out and the CO raises. He is the type who will call two cold preflop with any A, so I put him on either an A or a club draw. Button calls, BB folds, and I call as well. The turn is

[A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif] 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, CO checks (which to me means that he has an A cause otherwise he probably would have bet his flush), and button bets. I decide to try to get the CO off his A, so I check-raise. Any objections so far?

Gabe
05-06-2004, 03:09 AM
What do you think the button has?

SinCityGuy
05-06-2004, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I decide to try to get the CO off his A, so I check-raise. Any objections so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a waste of money on Party 15/30. This type of non-thinking player is married to the ace (it doesn't matter if it's A3o). You're not going to get him off of the ace.

risen
05-06-2004, 08:27 AM
I think you're in 3rd place right now on the turn, that iso raise isn't going to accomplish much. I'd trust your read and give it up, from all fish tales i've read about the party 15/30 Top Pair Ass Kicker can't be budged. (Unless it's a 2+2er seeing too many flops with crap because he can outplay the table and lay down a loser)

Steve Giufre
05-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Trying to get your opponent off of top pair in a limit poker game is a good way to go broke.

Bartholow
05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
This is exactly what I was going to ask. But since the one-liner is taken by Gabe, I'll go into a little more detail. Button called 2 cold on the flop, then bet the turn when the obvious draw got there. What can he have that you beat OR that you can make fold?

You're just pumping the pot with a non-nut club draw and no chance of winning outright IMHO.