PDA

View Full Version : Two Funny Hands - Seen Anything Like This?

06-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi,

First time in a while I played 3 night sessions in a row. Althoug I did not get any hand out of the ordinary to post here, I'd like to share these two hands that although I was not involved in, were quite amusing to say the least:

Hand 1 - The Most Stupid Call I Ever Saw:

One of the local rowdy gypsies whom I never saw win even in 2-4 sat down in our 5-10 game which was pretty typical, composed of some decent, some weak locals and a couple of good-playing tourists.

Aggressive gypsy, AG, was slowly but surely leaking his stack when he raised on CO after 3 limpers. All called.

Flop was K Q T. Everyone checked to MP1, a tourist who bets, everyone folded to AG who raised. Folded to MP1 who just called. Heads Up.

Turn - rag. MP1 bets. AG mulls and raised, MP1 called.

River - rag. MP1 checks. AG turned up 1 of his cards, a K, splatters 2 red chips, and said: "I'm giving you the chance to fold!" MP raised! AG smirked and said: "You won't fold? I re-raise!" MP coolly made it 4 bet. AG stopped, and called, turning up another K. MP turned up AJs for a flopped Broadway. AG stood up and left muttering to his gang in a language I can't understand except "pocket Ks".

Hand 2. Another typical, friendly 5-10 session where everyone was having a good time. UTG, a decent player raised, only MP2, another quite decent player but on a tilt called. He had been calling with some real funny hands lately.

Flop 3 4 J with 1 heart. UTG bets, MP2 calls and said: "Turn will be a 6, you bet, I'll call."

Turn - 6c. UTG bets, MP2 calls and said: "River will be a 3".

River - 3. Everyone was hysterical. UTG felt intimidated and compelled to bet. MP2 said, "I'll just call because you're a nice guy" and turned over 6h 3h. Everyone was on an uproar.

06-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Last night 6-12 mixture of player types at the table. California style, where you often see someone pumping in bets and raises on the flush come when it is obvious they are behind. Maybe that's what this guy thought I was doing. Anyway...

I am UTG+1 and generally getting more respect on my raises than most players at the moment. UTG (calling station) limps, I raise with AQ, folded to SB, who calls along with BB and UTG.

Flop: K J T, 2 clubs.

SB (old guy, haven't seen him play much), looks at me and bets out. The two between us call, and I raise. Old guy makes it three bets. BB folds, UTG calls, I cap.

Turn is (K J T) offsuit brick. SB bets out. UTG folds, I raise. SB reraises. He doesn't appear to be thinking about what I have. His demeanor towards me is he is sure I am bluffing. He is ignoring my raises. Thus, I am thinking same hand. I make it four bets, and he just calls.

River is another non-club brick. Board unpaired, I retain the nuts.

He looks at me and BETS! I raise, he calls, I know my Broadway is good. As he mucks, I see one of his cards: a K. Maybe set of Ks. Another person at the table suggested two pair who had played with this guy more. $270 pot.

In either case, I thought his river play was awful, and his turn play was arguable, even with top set given the board. I raised in EP pre-flop. Did that not convey the possibility of AQ, potentially confirmed by my raise and reraise at every opportunity? The only explanation for his river play was that he had utterly convinced himself I had missed a club draw.

Your "Stupidest Call I Ever Saw" doesn't compare with the woman in 6-12 who got to the river, checked to her sole opponent, who bet as he had been throughout the hand. She pondered and pondered, and ultimately called with... NOTHING. Ten high! Her pondering was not based on her evaluation of his play, either, the guy played fairly straightforwardly. That was embarrassing. We've all seen that, right?

But it was valuable info for me, beacuse I used her later in what turned out to be a fantasy hand development.

Me = KK in SB. Loose 6-12, 5 players had called before me, I raised, BB called and all called. 7 players saw the flop for 14sm.bets.

Flop is Q 4 2 rainbow. At this table, it is important to understand, as "card player" in the checkraising post nearby notes, that I wasn't going to drop players for one bet if I bet out. I elected the checkraise.

Moron Woman (MW) is fourth to act and bets when it is checked to her. Sure enough, there are three callers and I raise, knocking the two people out between me and MW. The rest call, 24sm.bets

Turn: (Q 4 2) K. Possibly now K made two of a suit.

I think: "If I check, MW will bet. She will look down at her hand, see her 4, and bet. HA ha ha ha ha ha. However, if I bet, she will not raise. Thus, if I bet out, she will call and maybe one other player, but if she bets from the first position on my left, they are more likely to call her than me."

So, I check. Sure enough, she bets. Ha ha ha ha. The three players call, and I raise. MW calls, two drop, and loose aggressive on button calls. 20 big bets in pot.

River: (Q 4 2) (K) K!.

I CHECK. I know she will bet!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, she still has a pair of 4s or whatever, and has UTTERLY FORGOTTEN MY PRE-FLOP RAISE, MY FLOP CHECK-RAISE, AND MY TURN CHECK-RAISE.

She BETS! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Oh dear lord. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Loose aggressive calls, and I RAISE. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. BOTH CALL!! Ha ha ha ha ha!

26 big bets. First time I've ever gotten to raise pre-flop, check raise on flop, turn and river and get multiple callers all the way. Just thinking of that hand makes me laugh out loud. Poker can be fun.

06-26-2002, 11:57 PM

06-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Live 4 8 game last weekend. 4 limpers to me, I complete in the SB with 76o. Flop comes 7 6 4 rainbow - I elect to checkraise to clear out some trash. I do, UTG coldcalls and its 3-4 to the turn. The turn is an offsuit T, I bet and only UTG calls. The river is another 7 giving me 3rd nuts, final board is T 7 7 6 4. I bet and now UTG raises? I reraise quickly and he 4 bets me??

Now what you need to understand about this card room at these limits (and probably higher limits) is that most people will not raise without a VERY good hand, usually just the nuts. The will not raise with top pair top kicker, they will not raise with trips without a very good kicker. So of course I'm thinking oh.. joy.. TT. I call and he proudly shows.. pocket 4s.

Here's one from last night, paradise 1/2. 4 limpers to me in the SB, I complete with 77. Flop comes J J 4 rainbow. Its checked to the last limper who bets, I checkraise, its folded to a MP who calls and the original better folds. Turn is a 9 putting 2 hearts on the board. I bet, mouse poised over the fold button, but MP just calls. River is the 5 of hearts, making the final board Jh Js 9h 5h 4d. I check, poised over fold again, but MP just checks. I win, and the HH puts him on.. 5s 4h. Wow.

06-27-2002, 02:27 AM
This hand happened a couple of weeks ago at a B&M 4-8 game.

4 or 5 limpers. Flop is 9 7 3. Button bets and only BB calls. Turn is a 7. Both check. River is a 9. Final board [9 7 3 9 7]. BB bets, button calls.

BB shows 44, giving him 2 pair with a 4 kicker. Button turns over pocket 4s as well and they chop the pot. NICE CALL!

06-27-2002, 10:02 AM
This is one young, cocky, sometimes obnoxious SOB who thinks he can play - one of the band of rowdy, loud, gypsies lurking around TAJ or TROP especially late Saturday night. They dress nice with all the fancy jewelries but most of them are broke and would chip in for 1 or 2 to sit in a game. Taj and Trop players surely recognize them.