PDA

View Full Version : A457

Beavis68
05-05-2004, 06:14 PM
I just began playing limit omaha 8ob a few months ago, my two guide books are Phill Hellmuth's and TJ Cloutier/Tom McEvoys books. I also play omaha high.

The other day I was dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Is this a playable hand with say 3 already in the pot, no raises, and middle position?

Kaz The Original
05-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Myself, being no omaha expert, would say no. Your only comfortable low would have to have a 2 and a 3.

daryn
05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
this is a trash hand.

Hung
05-06-2004, 03:26 AM
this is a trash hand.

I play a lot of PLO 8 and now limit.
And I've to agree, although I'm no expert.

Buzz
05-06-2004, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a playable hand with say 3 already in the pot, no raises, and middle position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavis - Not for me.

IMHO, from middle-position, and with a couple of limpers already in the pot, you play starting hands that have a good chance to scoop. This starting hand doesn't have a good chance to scoop.

(K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif has a good chance to scoop.

A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif has a good chance to scoop.

A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif has a good chance to scoop - all of these hands are even better when double suited).

But A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif does not have a good chance to scoop.

Playing from the small blind is another story. Playing from the big blind, especially against a possible steal attempt and with only one opponent (the possible stealer) is another story. Playing from the button may be another story. Going for a steal in a tight situation against tight opponents when there have been no limpers may be another story with this hand. But from mid position after a couple of limpers, this hand definitely belongs in the muck.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

chaos
05-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I would muck it.

You probably should check out Ray Zee's High-Low Split Poker book. It is the bible for Omaha/8.

Beavis68
05-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, I did muck it, flop was 2 3 x but, oh well. The question is how it will pay off long term.

I do need to get Ray's book.

iblucky4u2
05-11-2004, 05:22 PM
In the most passive game where you KNEW, 100% that there would not be a raise, then play the hand, but only if the A is suited!

Otherwise, the only way to play this trash is to have the ability to "Future View" and know that a 2,3,x was going to flop. Then raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PokerFox
05-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Agreed. This is a muck hand just about every time. You don't really have a shot at the high, and the low is the 3rd best or 4th best depending, and yeah, in the long run, fold. You want scoopers. 2 scooped pots = 8 wins of just low. and all 8 of those have a chance of being quartered due to fish playing only low hands.