PDA

View Full Version : Super Aggresive SNG table

ipp147
05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

I have been playing poker for around 3 months now. I am playing $20 Limit SNG's at Coral and $10 NL SNG's at Ladbrokes.

My limit play is better (I think because I am still making mistakes!)

My question is how do you guys (I know you all play/prefer NL) play a super aggresive limit table. By this I mean 2 people were out halfway through the second orbit. One hand saw 5 people put 4 bets in preflop (they can't all have AA).

I tend to really tighten up because I know I cannot isolate people pre flop with my premium hands and I struggle to put people on hands. The blinds eat at my chips for a while and when the dust settles I am seriously outchipped and often struggle. Everyone else seems to be loosening up in this situation - should I try and see more flops?

On an aside - this is a great site. So much more mature and educational than others I have stumbled across.

Big thanks to all on here are helping without neccesarily knowing it.

Pitcher
05-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi IPP,

I may not be the right person to reply to this, but I would treat this like a Loose Aggressive ring game. That means you play very tight, but add hands that play well multi-way like suited connectors, small PP's and Axs. Try to get in cheap if you can with these types of hands. Do not get involved in a raising war with premium hands because their value drops so dramatically in multi-way pots. I really like limit and play it fairly often, but like so many others I have embraced NL. Still, I believe a good limit player will do very well in SnG's.

Good Luck

Pitcher

37offsuit
05-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Wait for your big hands and then pounce on them. Yes, sometimes when you get pocket A or K, you'll get them cracked, but the secret to these maniac games is that you're going to catch bad beats and suck outs because with so much action, a lot of people are chasing, and while the suck outs will stick in your mind, the odds will still hold up in the end.

I go into super tight mode from everywhere but late position and then wait to get pocket pairs where I can limp so I know how much it will cost to see the flop. If it's been bet hard before it gets to me and I have AA, KK, or AK then I'll just call and pounce if I hit AK or if low cards come on the flop. Lower pairs, AQ, KQ all get chucked. If you go all in preflop, you might find yourself with 4 or 5 callers, killing your odds. If you wait to the flop, you can get it down to the one or two that have a chance to beat you, but aren't there yet. Once I take down that first monster pot, then I go back to super tight and let them knock each other out.

I'll enter any very cheap pot with those less than premium hands that can make the nuts (Ax suited, connectors) from the blinds and look for that JQo to flop a straight so I can slow play and burry someone as well. When I miss, or hit something like top pair with JQ, I'll just check and a lot of times fold to a big bet. I'm looking for monster hands and monster pots.

It can get frustrating in these games because of the amount of suck outs, but keep good records of your wins and losses and you'll likely see that while you are getting knocked out early in a few, you'll finish in the money more than your fair share because of all the maniacs.

t_perkin
05-06-2004, 01:11 PM
just fold everything with the exception of AA and KK and possibly AK until things calm down or the blinds become big.
You might think it is worth doubling up, but it probably isn't. If you can see flops cheaply then do but don't get too attached to anything less than trips.

I don't agree with 37off when he says to limp with AA and KK. You should not be doing this. But don't get too attached to them when people start giving you loads of action on a dangerous flop.

And if you don't like this sort of game (which I wouldn't blame you for) start playing NL where you can protect your hand a bit more /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim

tolbiny
05-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Hey pitcher,
i wouldnt advise playing Axs in this game unless i was on the button/cutoff and it was at most two bets to me with 4+ players in, AND the aggression slows down post flop. YOu dont want to be chasing when the rest of the table is intent on pounding each other into submission. The smaller pp i would agree on again in lp when you can see the action infront of you- just make sure there are enough players.

37offsuit
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah, you're right. Sorry, I misread the post and thought he was talking about a super aggressive NL tourney.

In limit, just tighten up and increase your bankroll to cover the swings. When you play hands, you need to play multiway start cards and throw them away if they just become top pair/top kicker. You'll lose too much money with AK when the board comes A 4 7 Q 5. Someone will have the straight and another person will have the A4, A7 or A5.

I would play any Ax suited, but again, dump it if all you end up with is a pair of aces, and be careful even if you flop two pair. If the flop comes with two to your suit, I'd bet it on the flop and turn. You'll be looking at huge swings in your stack, but you'll be taking down some monster sized pots because (hopefully) you'll always be chasing to the nuts while others are chasing to mid level flushes and gut shot straights.