PDA

View Full Version : completing from the sb

bosoxfan
05-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I play on party poker and during the first level, while the blinds are 10 and 15, should you complete from the small blind in an unraised pot with any 2 or should you still throw away junk hands? Is it worth always seeing the flop for only T5?

jimotto
05-05-2004, 01:40 PM
I always complete on level one with anything, typically you'll be getting 12-1 or better for your 5 chips. I'm looking for two pair bare minimum on flop though, preferably trips or better. Just don't fall in love with top pair on the flop.

Joe Tall
05-05-2004, 08:49 PM
You should think about your position and what you are holding.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

NotMitch
05-05-2004, 08:59 PM
If I am fairly sure the BB will not raise, I will play anything that can flop the nuts and near the nuts for 5 chips.

jwvdcw
05-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Yes, I think you should alwasy play that for only T5 more.

fat_nutz
05-06-2004, 01:46 AM
I won't complete with absolutely anything... pretty much best you can hope for w/ 10-2, for example, is 2 pair. or a draw. neither of which is that great, since there are plenty of other draws that would catch up to you. In other words, even if you flop decent hands with "any two", they sometimes are hands that force you to give action in what becomes a losing cause. At least that's been my experience.

So, I usually try to complete only if the cards are connected or near-connected. For example, I'll complete 75o, but not 74 or 95.

A related question I'm wondering about is whether it's EVER worthwhile to raise from SB in the first level of a SNG. Unless you're going all-in w/ AA or KK or AK, it seems to be a bad proposition to me. Unless the flop helps you, you're hung out to dry since everyone at the table has position on you, and all the fish are likely to call virtually any raise in the first level, so every potential draw could be out there.