PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer from NL to Limit

fsuplayer
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Party $2-4 game.
Mid day game, tight by any standards(I've seem looser 15-30 games on line), but I'm trying to get in a little limit play before I head to Biloxi on Thursday.

Folded to MP2 who open raises.
Folded to me in SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif I reraise.

BB folds and MP calls.
Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet and MP calls.
Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, MP raises, I reraise. He calls.

River:7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I throw out a bet and a prayer and he calls and flips 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for two pair.

Where did I go wrong?
I am trying to be more aggressive since I have a tendenacy to be a little weak in limit, but I think I went to far in this hand.

I know I played it wrong, but what should I have done instead on each street?

Thanks for the help,

FsuPlayer

Jezebel
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
I would have checked the turn and depending on my read checkraise if bet into. You don't mind giving a free card so if he checks through it is probably benificial to you. If he bets and is the type of opponent that will fold to a checkraise, then you might want to give it a shot. However, most opponents will not fold for the checkraise in this spot. You need a good read to pull this off.

Your river bet has too slim a chance of getting your opponent to fold that it is better to save the BB. Once he calls your turn 3 bet, he is going to see a showdown. If you think he raised the turn on a semibluff flush draw, it is better to check call the river. At least that way if you are right you gain an extra bet.

The Bear
05-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Why did you 3-bet the turn? I'm interested in your rationale.

fsuplayer
05-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Actually, I three bet bc I thought that the MP was stealing preflop, and that he was trying to get cute put a play on my missed overcards.

That was part of it, but mainly bc I thought that the possibility of him getting cute with nothing, plus the heart draw, plus my overs, was a good combo to throw in a 3 bet.

Now that I have thought it through, and reread some more of HEFAP, I think I should have gone with Jezebel and checkraised him and led out on the river no matter what came.
Whether the CR would have gotten him off of it or not i dont know, but I think it would have been a much better play.

Lastly, I think I reverted back to my no limit thinking. If I reraise huge on the turn, he def. lays down his hand. I have to keep reminding myself that a bet in limit is no where near big enough to make a big play and encourage a lay down. Still adjusting I guess /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Thanks for the advice guys,

FsuPlayer

tripdad
05-05-2004, 05:47 PM
i'll be interested to know how you do in limit vs. no limit. i have a lot of friends who play above average in no limit, but absolutely reek as limit players.

myself, i definitely win more money in limit games( i do much better in short handed...5 or 6 max...games) than no limit, though i do win as a no limit player.

anyone out there who can verbalize in a simple, easy to read way what the major differences are in the 2 structures, and why some are good at one and not the other? i play at least 2 live no limit tourneys per week, and finish in the money 2/3 of the time.(between 10 and 16 players per tourney)

cheers!