PDA

View Full Version : Check-raising to death

PrayingMantis
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Yes, I did some slowplaying here with my set, but I'm not sure that's the problem. Maybe part of it. Please criticize.

27$ SNG. Blinds 10/20, 8 left. No real reads.

Edit: Stacks are around 1500 for relevant opponent and me.

UTG and UTG+1 limp, all fold to me on BB, and I check with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I decide to go for the check raise, hoping someone will bet. the turbo $27's get pretty aggressive, sometimes.

I check, UTG bets 80, UTG+1 folds, I raise to 240. UTG calls.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Going for the check raise again! is it smart? I think that normally it is a very bad idea. Probably here too. But I was behind already here, so it didn't really matter /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I check, BB bets 200. I push. He calls and shows 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the nut straight.

The turn should have been a real scare card for me... Would you consider it as a scare card?

Any other thoughts? The slowplaying, the check-raise all-in, anything?

t_perkin
05-05-2004, 10:50 AM
I´ve only ever played one turbo, and I hated it.

But I would say that you are going to struggle to fold this without losing a lot of money, and there is no room for losing a lot of money in a turbo.

I don't think this is too bad a play.

In a SnG I would like to say that I could get away from it. But it would be tough.

Tim

La Brujita
05-05-2004, 10:55 AM
I think you played it pretty well. That being said, there may have been a better way to play it (but not sure). Thoughts:

1. On the flop the deepness of the money combined with potential straight and flush drawing hands might indicate leading out with a bet is better than a cr here. Ciaffone discusses when to bet and when to cr due to deepness pretty well in PLNLP (at least that is where I learned it). Since I cut my teeth at Party a cr is a strong part of my game. I am trying to play more places with deeper money to improve my game and play more real poker.

2. On the turn I lead out as well but for different reasons. Suppose he was betting to get a free card for the flush (and he was but for the straight not the flush). Now that a blank hits the turn he checks right behind you and you gave a free card in a very vulnerable spot.

3. The 7 surely was a scare card but straights are much harder to "see" than flushes (meaning it is harder to put opponent on a straight) imo. I would have been on the rail on this hand.

FWIW one of the leaks I may have in my game is getting too cute with a flopped set on a scare board. I don't know if you did the same as well here.

Regards

obex
05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. On the flop the deepness of the money combined with potential straight and flush drawing hands might indicate leading out with a bet is better than a cr here. Ciaffone discusses when to bet and when to cr due to deepness pretty well in PLNLP (at least that is where I learned it). Since I cut my teeth at Party a cr is a strong part of my game. I am trying to play more places with deeper money to improve my game and play more real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you or anyone else elaborate on the concept of "deep money"? I have not heard of this.

t_perkin
05-05-2004, 03:03 PM