PDA

View Full Version : I am getting weak

kiemo
05-05-2004, 10:09 AM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (10 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

I for the life of cannot explain this hand to myself. The preflop raise is borderline, however I seem to recall I thought I was 2 off the button which means the raise makes a little more sense. However my flop play is just baffling. Raise or fold here seems to be the correct play.

Another weak hand in the same session I had AKo in EP. I raise and am reraised preflop by LP player. 3 people to flop of low rags. I bet and am raised by same preflop raiser. I fold. 2 go to showdown with all low cards board and LP player takes down pot with AJo.

Uggg, just uggg.

afk
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm folding this preflop. I think ATo is one of those borderline hands you have to play really well postflop to do well with it. I'll probably open raise with it from MP or later, and play it from the button and CO, but not any earlier. It's a personal decision for the time being, but I think it's for the best.

As for the rest of the hand I'd raise the flop. What hands would he 3bet preflop? AA? KK? QQ? JJ? maybe AKs? maaaayyybe AKo? I've found that a lot of players at our limit won't 3bet with very much else than big pairs, even big aces. - so I think it's safe to put them on a big pair or possibly big ace, though it's less likely. I can't give credit for AA right away so I'm going to raise the flop, if he 3bets me on the flop I think I'd call him down, I have trouble letting this hand go once I get involved.

It's too bad you don't have a read on him. I dunno, I'm not sure what the 'correct' course of action is, but I'd probably see the showdown this time expecting to be shown something like KK or QQ most of the time. It's tough that he's an unknown to you, but against most players at this limit I'd probably call him down.

Also, what happened at the table we were at the other day? I got a couple of slowdowns at the table, I went to answer the phone and when I came back half the table was gone? That seemed like a good game too!

Virox
05-05-2004, 11:53 AM
If you are 2 or 3 off the button does not matter that much for the preflop raise. What is more important is that you have three limpers in front of you. I would fold this one and raise with AJ.

And as you said, raise or fold on the flop...

kiemo
05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, what happened at the table we were at the other day? I got a couple of slowdowns at the table, I went to answer the phone and when I came back half the table was gone? That seemed like a good game too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard micro limit table. 2 players sit out, which prompts 2 players to leave, which prompts another to sit out, etc..

Maybe this is just an online thing, rather then exclusive to micro tables. Its really quite irksome though. I hate sitting down, waiting 6 hands for the BB, then posting BB on a full table and within 3 hands I am UTG again.

afk
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but I really have no idea how to play shorthanded so if the table drops below six for an extended period of time I'm out. Though working on my shorthanded game is the next big thing I'm going to tackle. I'd like to feel at least somewhat prepared.