PDA

View Full Version : This was hard to let go of. Should it have been?

PokerBob
05-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

No clear reads.
Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>

Ughh. Is this where I give it up?
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (11.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.25 BB, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by UTG.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins 12.25 BB. </font>

Lost Wages
05-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Against a typical player I think that you made a good fold. After all of the strength shown by you and the button UTG still comes out firing. One pair no good.

Lost Wages

Chiem
05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Absolutely it should have been hard to fold. I mean, what kind of player doesn't find it hard to fold pocket kings?

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have folded it. Good job. Grit your teath and live to kill another day.

Rico Suave
05-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Pokerbob:

I would probably cap the flop.

I would think when UTG bets into on the turn with the A falling, you are behind. If you do not plan on calling a river bet, then I think you should just go ahead and fold on the turn.

--Rico

southerndog
05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
I think you should have called the river bet.

HajiShirazu
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
You should have capped the flop. If you call the turn, you have to call the river, you don't have odds to snag a K here. I think the way you could be ahead is that UTG might have just picked up a flush draw to go along with his pair on the turn and decided to bet out, and button has something like K9 or TT. Granted I think one of them is going to have an ace or a set a lot of the time but I think I would have had to pay to see it in this situation. I definately fold immediately if button had raised.

sthief09
05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Bob

I'm not going to comment on whether it was correct to fold. That is a judgment call (though you should've capped the flop and gone from there). However there is one big thing that I'd like to point out. On the turn you called, then on the river you folded. These two actions are contradictory. By folding on the river you are saying that you don't have the best hand. But by calling the turn, you're saying you might have the best hand. This doesn't make sense. If you're going to fold the river, you should fold the turn unless you're getting correct odds to draw to your 2-outer. In this case you aren't even getting close to the price you need to draw to your 2-outer.

It's important to consider future actions, and how they relate with your current ones. If you call the turn bet, you pretty much have to call the river bet. The only exception is if you think the river will get checked through and you'll lose only 1 BB. This is not the case though.

For the future, try coming up with a "plan" when a situation gets difficult. Make sure the plan works together and covers all situations. Then, when a surprise card falls, like the A here, you aren't caught off-guard.

On the flop, I'd be thinking "I'm going to cap, and if I get bet into or raised, I'll call down. If an A slides off and it's bet to me I'll fold. Otherwise, I'll bet."

arkady
05-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey bob,

Two things I would like to point out

a) UTG limper might be drawing for overcards here, cap the flop and make him pay some more.

b) If you called the turn (why?) then at least call the river and showdown, otherwise muck on turn. If I knew the button's name, I would tell him the same thing.

Lost Wages
05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I thought that you folded the turn, you should have.

Sthief09 is correct. If you call the turn then you have commited yourself to calling the river unimproved. That is why I believe you should fold the turn.

Lost Wages