PDA

View Full Version : raise the river after flush draw gets there?

06-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Paradise Poker, 0.5/1, typical lineup of VERY LOOSE/somewhat passive opponents.

I'm in one off cutoff with 6h8h. I'm ready to muck when I see everyone in front of me limp, and I think possibly they brought in people from other tables to limp too. In other words, there's like, a lot of limpers. So I limp (bad?), everyone else behind me calls, and I think the people that already limped probably wanted to limp again if they could.

The flop hits me somewhat hard:

*** FLOP *** : [ 5s 7s 9h ]

Giving me DA NUTZ with a backdoor flush draw. Checked to guy in front of me (GUY), he bets, I raise, button cold calls 2, one of the blinds cold calls 2, everyone else folds to GUY, who 3-bets, I cap, button cold-calls again, blind cold-calls again. Four of us see the turn:

*** TURN *** : [ 5s 7s 9h ] [ Qc ]

I still have DA NOOTZ. Checked to GUY, he bets, I raise again, this time button and blind fold, GUY 3-bets, I cap. At this point, it's obvious he either has:

1) a set, or

2) a flush draw, or maybe a super flush draw, like a Js8s or maybe he's freerolling me with 6s8s.

So, we see the ugly, ugly, river:

*** RIVER *** : [ 5s 7s 9h Qc ] [ 2s ]

GUY bets out. Call or raise? Results later.

06-24-2002, 09:47 PM
This is an easy limp with 86s even if there are only two limpers ahead of you. Suited one-gappers clearly aren't as good as suited connectors but the difference is not substantial. 87s and 86s make the same kind of flush. The difference comes from 86s being able to make only three kinds of straights whereas 87s can make four kinds of straights.

On the river, I think your hand is still good but you may be chopping. I'd raise again. It's tough for him to 3-bet the river without the nut flush.

06-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Sooga,

I think that your read #1 is right, he has a set, and since he is playing .5/1.00 he is going by the rule that if you flop a set and don't lose a lot of chips, you made a mistake. I would help him feel better about himself and raise. I don't know if I would take the last raise if he reraises, but I would be pretty surprised if he didn't show you a set of 9s.

Also, your hand 86 suited does play well multiway, plus onegappers are a little harder for people to read when you do hit them, so I think your preflop decision was fine.

Good luck,

Play well,

Bob T.

06-25-2002, 04:02 AM
I would just call, if he has got a set, he will just call your raise, but if he has got a flush , he will probably reraise you even without the K or A, especially when he is on a "raising-frenzy".

06-25-2002, 12:03 PM
I talked this hand over with my buddy Josh W., and he thought I should just call it down. Anyway, I did just call, and he showed me 55. I don't know how many more raises it would have taken to convince him that I had a bigger set, not to mention the nuts. Oh well, thanks for playing /images/smile.gif