PDA

View Full Version : Stealing multiple blinds

06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if it is worthwile to try and steal the blinds in a hand with 2 or more blind posts. The main question is does the extra money make up for the reduced odds that all will fold.

Example:

PP 3/6. fairly tight (20% flops) and pretty passive.

I'm first in early MP w/ JTo. There are 2 blind posts + the blinds. Should I raise here?

I chickened out and called, flop came QQ6 and Q4o won it. I believe a raise would have worked in this hand, as I think I could have stolen it on the flop, if Q4 had folded. I'm just wondering if this move is a legit long term strategy.

tsherif

06-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Sure trying to steal all those blinds is a great idea...but you also have to realize that it will most likely be very difficult to steal these blinds. The money already in the pot will prabably create multi-way action regardless of a raise. Af you are going to come in for a raise I think you must do it with a hand that plays well in a multi-way pot not something like JTo.

Allan

06-24-2002, 04:59 PM
I am more willing to limp if there are additional posters in the hand, but my raising standards remain about the same.

06-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Very strange. I'm rereading Poker Essays Volume II and this exact topic was the last thing I read before putting the book down.

This is from an essay titled Some Reasons to Play Loose:

There is a late position blind....Sometimes a player will make up his blind from a late position. Now since there is more money in the pot, it becomes correct to call with a few more hands. Most players understand this, but many of them will raise more frequently if first in, and this is wrong: You have more players to defend their blinds already in the pot so you are less likely to win it before the flop. That is, call with more hands, but only raise with your better hands.