PDA

View Full Version : What is going to happen when someone writes a book on sngs?

AleoMagus
05-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately about my strategy guide for party 10+1 and some recent conversations about win rates, etc...

That guide, while probably a good start for losing players to make the transition to break even or small winners is very incomplete. I've written a ton about poker lately that I have not put on this site and I have been thinking a lot about trying to put together a book.

Now, I am really not the guy to do this because I am the worst kind of poker writer. This is to say that I have some ability at the game but my writing is really better than my poker and nobody knows who I am. I am a winner, and I am improving but I need some credibility before I'd ever put my name on a poker book. Who knows, maybe I'll win the Canadian Championships this year.

So anyways... I have been thinking that I cannot be the only guy with this bright idea as there is a potentially huge niche just waiting to be filled by a book of this sort. After the past few years, it was obvious to me that NL was experiencing a resurgence online and I made a prediction to a few friends. I predicted that the market would soon be flooded with NL poker books.

Well it hasn't exactly happened yet, but it might soon. 2+2 is currently engaged in a project of this type and supersystem 2 might also talk at lenghth about NL.

So here is another prediction for you - Someone (hopefully me /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) is going to write a book about online SNG play. This book is going to spell out ABC sng strategy and it's going to teach fish that KTs, while pretty, is a horrendous hand to call a preflop all-in raise with in the first round. It could even just be a new book about online play in general with a sng chapter that puts my little guide to shame.

What is going to happen to our results at sngs? is a 50% ROI going to be possible in 5 yrs?

Come to think of it, the 100+9 games are pretty solid, and many players do manage 25%+ ROI so I'm sure some will continue making money, but many will not. How do you all feel the game is going to change when this happens? Is it possible things could actually get easier? Will 10+1 play like 100+9?

Regards
Brad S

esknights
05-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks for ruining my day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Although there are so many books out now on play and people still don't read them so I am hoping it stays this way.

William
05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
There are hundreds of books about poker out there and still, 99.9999999% of all players are fish.

As I have said before, the ones with a talent for poker will figure things out, book or no book.
The rest, they can read all the books in the world and hear the same explanation thousand times, it just won't help.

That doesn't mean you writing a book isn't a good idea. It means I am pretty sure it won't change the figures one bit.

Good luck with your project,

william /images/graemlins/smile.gif

t_perkin
05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
I would be interested to know what the sales figures for books like TOP and TPFAP are like for the last couple of years.

Anyway as S+M have often stated. Why play poker when their time is more profitably spent writing about it? who gives a toss about the upper echelons of the poker community? they are out gunning for your money just as much as you are out gunning for theirs (or their potential prey's) by writing a book.

My guess is that to make any real money though you would need to get a big name on the cover and you just shadow write it.
The other way to make money out of it is probably to get it onto Poker Stars FPP store (obviously making sure you get paid in $$ not FPPs /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Or start your own publishing company called 2+3 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim

obex
05-05-2004, 10:36 AM
There are a ton of books on all the other forms of hold'em - nonetheless the games remain good. I think as long as poker continues to have mainstream popularity, there will be new players, casual players, etc. What percentage of people playing the ring games online right now have actually read and digested a (quality) book on the game? My guess is that it's not very high. I think the same people that are motivated enough to buy (and study) a book on SnGs are going to be motivated enough to find this forum anyway.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
All the best poker books in the world won't help the fish. Sure, a few will buy them, and wise up, but mostly the status-quo will remain the same. Except for the huge influx of poker players via WPT etc, which will bring in far more fish than any books will bring in new sharks.

al

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 12:52 PM
William,

Do you consider yourself one of the 0.00001% with talent? God, you're cocky.

Oh, and Aleo, winning the Canadian championship wouldn't gain you any respect. Nobody wants to associate with Alaska-touching, maple-syrup-bogarting, home-of-Daniel-Negreanu Canadia.

Pitcher
05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi Aleo,

Why not try a book? Your posts are well written, you low limit SnG strat is solid and you offer solid advice on posted hands. You do not have to be a world class practitioner of something to write a book about it. Don't worry, if it is a good book, it will be well reviewed by the 2+2 writers and it will sell. If it isn't, you can tell your kids and grandkids you wrote a book. I think it is a great idea (and I would buy a copy if it was decent!)

Pitcher

byronkincaid
05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I personally think the market would be pretty small for a book purely about SnGs. But hey, I'll buy one /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rusty JEDI
05-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Mcevoy and Daugherty have a book called Championship Satelite Strategy. The cover mentions one table satelites, super satelites, and online satelites. Im not sure if they focus any on 1 table tournies that pay top 3, or if they are just based on 1 pay single tables.

Maybe someone here knows?

rJ

William
05-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Maybe someone here knows?

I am reading it right now.

The first pages are not very good, just explains what kind of satellites you can find and repeats the same several times, but I hope it will get better later on, I will let you know when I am thru with it.

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif