PDA

View Full Version : Instant raise

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-04-2004, 09:00 PM
2 Table SNG on 'Stars. Blinds are 50/100, 15 left, 8 at my table. I have about 3200 in chips.

I get K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif three off the button. Folded to me, I raise to 300, button calls, blinds fold. (pot = 750)

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet 600, and if it's possible online, button almost beats me into the pot, reraising all-in (an additional 480 to call)

What's your read?

thomastem
05-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Kurn,

He is getting very short and just about pot committed with his call. Trips are the only hand you're in trouble and 2 pair you have odds to call. A-k, A-Q, A-J, Q-Q, J-J, 10-10, 9-9, are also possible holdings

I call here.

PS Most players go all-in pre if they hold A-A unless you have some kind of read I feel A-A is very unlikely.

RED_RAIN
05-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Regardless of what you think he has...it's 480 to call the raise. You have odds against anythign but a set to make the call. He could even be open ended or flush draw where I think it's the right play for him on short stack.

thomastem
05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what you think he has...it's 480 to call the raise. You have odds against anythign but a set to make the call. He could even be open ended or flush draw where I think it's the right play for him on short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

......or the very unlikely A-A. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NotMitch
05-04-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 Table SNG on 'Stars. Blinds are 50/100, 15 left, 8 at my table. I have about 3200 in chips.

I get K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif three off the button. Folded to me, I raise to 300, button calls, blinds fold. (pot = 750)

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet 600, and if it's possible online, button almost beats me into the pot, reraising all-in (an additional 480 to call)

What's your read?

[/ QUOTE ]

My read is the button is an idiot. Also he has 99 or AKd. (edit: AQd is more likely now that I think about it)

RED_RAIN
05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Is the question what hand he has or should you call?

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
This was from the same SNG as the "Poket Pair Frustration" post. I paused after the instant all-in and thought, it's not AA, he'd go all-in preflop. With a set he might just call and let me bet his hand on the turn.

So far this table has seen me fold to reraises, and fold on the flop or turn after showing strength preflop. My read is he's trying to make me lay down AK.

edit: AQd is more likely now that I think about it

Shoulda gone with your first impression. I called and he showed 99 which got no help making his exit only a bit less quick than his raise.

NotMitch
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was from the same SNG as the "Poket Pair Frustration" post. I paused after the instant all-in and thought, it's not AA, he'd go all-in preflop. With a set he might just call and let me bet his hand on the turn.

So far this table has seen me fold to reraises, and fold on the flop or turn after showing strength preflop. My read is he's trying to make me lay down AK.

edit: AQd is more likely now that I think about it

Shoulda gone with your first impression. I called and he showed 99 which got no help making his exit only a bit less quick than his raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I'm good. I just meant AQ seemed more likely than AK given what you held, but if I assume they are both the diamonds what you hold doesnt really matter. So as always I'm an idiot.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Really, read is hardly important here. You call as quickly as he raised. You may be beat, and you may not. It looks to me like he has an overpair, but probably not AA. Folding is just not a possibility, given the pot size and your holding. If he has a set you'll just have to lose.

al

Rick Diesel
05-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I'd guess that you are ahead at this point. My first guess would be A8 suited, followed closely by an overpair that you are ahead of (99-JJ). There is even a slight chance that he has a smaller pair (44,55,77) and is hoping that you were on overcards and missed.

Rick Diesel