PDA

View Full Version : A strange hand

06-24-2002, 12:16 AM
Ok here is a hand i played last night. 4-8 Holdem half tight/loose passive game, players are pretty predictable and easy to read. Folded to me in MP i raise with JJ, folded around to Cut off a good players, loose in limping standards but has shown down high pairs that he raised with preflop. He reraises. This could mean a big or AK i dont he would three bet with anything elsem but offcourse i could be wrong. Anyway...flop AJ2 with two hearts. I check raise, he reraises, i reraise, he reraises again. Now i think AA thats the only hand i can think of. AK i dont think he would make it that many bets. Set of 2's no way (probably less than 1/2 percent chance of him having 22 in the whole). AA or AJ is the only hands i can think of. I call the last reraise now the turn is a blank. I check, he checks behind me.

huh? Now i know he doesn't have AA or AJ maybe a heart draw. Anyway the river is another Ace. I was about to bet but then the idea of inducing a bluff or him maybe still having AJ came up into my head so i checked. He also checked and turned over QQ. I turned over my full house and took it down. What do you think i should have done? How do you think i played it? and would you have done anything differently?

Thanks in advance for all comments and responses,

-MJ

06-24-2002, 12:25 PM
dont checkraise the flop with a monster. Check call and wait till the $8 turn to checkraise and 4 bet him.

When the A turns up on the river I think you still have to bet out in a low limit game, because few low limit players can let go of any Ace in that spot. But if raised, just call.

06-24-2002, 03:39 PM
If he had AA or AJ there is no way in hell he'd not bet behind you on the Turn. His check screams AK or KK or QQ. Bet the river every time.

06-24-2002, 05:55 PM
dont checkraise the flop with a monster. Check call and wait till the $8 turn to checkraise and 4 bet him.

Absolutely terrible. Middle set is not a monster.

Check-calling is the worst way to play flopped sets. I can see either betting the flop so that you may have a chance to 3-bet or checkraising. But, check-calling is a wasted opportunity.

06-25-2002, 09:16 AM
I guess that makes sense. But I figure that once you check raise or three bet that probably makes him slow down on the turn and the river, where the limit is bigger. I suppose one or two extra bets on the flop make up for that. And with 2 hearts and te overcard on the board middle set may not want to give up a free card.