PDA

View Full Version : AK off headsup.

06-23-2002, 10:16 PM
3-6 online,

unfamiliar UTG open raises, folded to me in mid position with Ac - Kd, I 3bet, and it is folded back to UTG who calls.

Flop - Ah 8s 4c. UTG bets, I call.

Turn - Td. UTG bets, I call.

River - 2s. UTG bets, I raise. Comments?

He called, I showed and he mucked.

Thanks for your responses.

Good luck,

Play well,

Bob T.

06-24-2002, 03:20 AM
Very nice. This will teach him to not push, with or without an Ace, when you three-bet (more often a big pair than a strong Ace) and an Ace flops.

lars

06-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Hi Bob,

I read your posts and I think you probably play better than I do. Not necessarily disagreeing with your play here, but I would like to know if betting out on flop and continuing to bet til you meet resistance is correct. I always do it this way.

Some players wont 4 bet on AA or KK, but I dont think it would make any difference in this case because you have top pair/top kicker. No scare cards ever came to change my leading all the way.

I always have the problem on the river whether to slow down after leading all the way with tp/tk.

I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.

Don

06-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Dang, Bob, I am blind and stupid both. Of course, if he has AA, you will not raise him with the A on the board.

The only other thought I have is, would it be correct to raise him on the flop to find out how proud he is of his holdings?

Don

06-24-2002, 03:14 PM
You are heads-up, have got positioin, of all the utg raising hands that beat you there is only one AA (and three TT if he would raise it) possible , and the board is great too - smart play!

06-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Don Q.

Your question is why I posted this hand.

There are at least two ways to play this hand after the flop. I thought that if I raised on the flop, and he was pushing a big pocket pair like JJ or QQ, he would probably fold. I might also convince him to lay down a weaker Ace. I guess that this is also the case for raising more liberally on the flop. Both of these circumstances are good, in that I win the pot early.

If he is not going to lay these hands down, but will call to the river, then I can make slightly more by waiting to the river to raise, because I will be raising him a big bet instead of a small bet if he calls. I also have a higher chance of losing the hand also.

I was going to raise on the river, unless a J or Q came off the deck there. Given that he did not reraise preflop, I am hoping that he does not have AA, although TT is not out of the question, and given that I three bet preflop, if I raise the flop, he might have a good guess at my holding, and could play the rest of the hand well. By calling, I think it might look like I have JJ, QQ, or KK, and have gotten stubborn, and his AQ or AJ is good and needs to value bet / charge me to the river.

So I think you have to play this hand both ways some of the time, and maybe add some other hands into the hands that you would raise the flop with.

Thanks for your response,

Good luck,

Play well,

Bob T.