PDA

View Full Version : Fold my flopped straight?

Virox
05-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi everybody!

This is my first post here. I've been playing regularly for about a month now and make a small profit but not enough =). That's why I'm glad I found this forum.

To my question, how should I have played this hand...

No one of the players stand out, typical microlimit players.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, (All-In) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls. -- Going for a raise on the turn if no diamond..

Turn: (6.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls. -- Damn Diamond! But you never know with microlimit players, could bet on a straight draw, calling...

River: (14.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

If I knew the Button was a decent player I would never have called but I didn't have a good read so, did I do the right thing?

Sam T.
05-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Raise the flop. They'll put you on a pair long before they start thinking straight.

James Boston
05-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Go ahead and raise after the BB led the turn. That will give you a much better idea of where you're at. Calling down with the nut straight because there are 3 flush cards on board is too weak-tight.

Blindfolk
05-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Why the PF raise? KJ, suited or not, isn't a strong hand from middle position in 9-handed games.

Yeknom58
05-04-2004, 07:06 PM
What is he suppose to do, OPEN limp in MP. It's a clear raise.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Raise the flop. But as it stands...

I'd raise the BB's lead bet on the turn. If he 3bets you, you'll better know where you are. However, if the button 3bets behind you and the BB caps, then you can fold. Other than that, I'm seeing this one till the end unless a diamond comes out on the river.

Number4
05-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm iffy on the pre-flop raise, but I think you have to bet the flop here. I would also raise the turn to see where you're at.

sin808
05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but looking at my Poker Tracker stats show 0 wins with KJ- suited or not. PFr% 50% suited, 0 offsuit. I'm starting to think about folding KJ anytime I see it since it's cost me about 20BB so far. Other big losers include AJ (suited or not) at -27BB (with a 12.5% win rate, and JT at -17BB (0 wins).
So, based on my history with them, I'm not fond of Jacks, unless I have 2 of them.

Virox
05-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Raise on the turn to gain information makes sense to me.
But why raise on the flop? If I raise I will probably not get anyone betting on the turn (unless they hit flush or straight). It seems to me that I will maximize the pot if I wait and raise on the turn.

RED_RAIN
05-04-2004, 09:59 PM
At this level KJs in your position muchless any position isn't worth a raise and often unless a loose game even a call. I fold KJs or KJo in this level game. But since you got to the flop, I would bet out, you think they think you got a straight? I would be the turn here, they will raise you maybe if they have a flush. Then you can check call the river. But first off I wouldn't be in this hand preflop.

sublime
05-04-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At this level KJs in your position muchless any position isn't worth a raise and often unless a loose game even a call

[/ QUOTE ]

At what level do you play where KJs is not a good hand?

sin808
05-04-2004, 11:04 PM
I'd have to agree with him. Based solely on my own personal experience though, your own results may vary. See my reply elsewhere in this thread for my #'s and reasoning.

Nak
05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
When I saw your check on the flop, I thought oh cool your going for a check-raise. I would play this must faster. Make those damn flush draws pay.

Nak

sublime
05-04-2004, 11:22 PM
The pre flop raise is fine, a call would be fine also.

Do not listen to this nonsense that KJs is not a playable, it is a good hand.