PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this?

fat_nutz
05-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Check out the HH below. I'm in late pos. with a few short stacks out there pushing in their chips, I've got AQs, and raised to isolate the largest small stack (with one of the other small stacks already all-in). My reasoning is that I put the initial short-stack raiser on middle pair, so that's a coin-toss for the sidepot, and the all-in caller can probably have any two suited based on the way he's played and the fact that he's got very few chips...

What do you think of my play? How would you do differently? Results in white...

***** Hand History for Game 573450702 *****
30/60 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 3522038) - Mon May 03 23:53:29 EDT 2004
Table Table 12181 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: shap1234 (1465)
Seat 3: luckysevens (95)
Seat 5: WebBull (2680)
Seat 6: mattinkc22 (1420)
Seat 7: wilsen (615)
Seat 8: bac1374 (260)
Seat 9: fat_nutz (1465)
shap1234 posts small blind (15)
luckysevens posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to fat_nutz [ Ah, Qh ]
WebBull folds.
mattinkc22 calls (30)
wilsen raises (300) to 300
bac1374 calls (260)
bac1374 is all-In.
fat_nutz raises (615) to 615

<font color="white">

shap1234 folds.
luckysevens calls (65)
luckysevens is all-In.
mattinkc22 folds.
wilsen calls (315)
wilsen is all-In.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ks, 6h, 9d ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 2d ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 5s ]
Creating Main Pot with $425 with luckysevens
Creating Side Pot 1 with $495 with bac1374
Creating Side Pot 2 with $710 with wilsen
** Summary **
Main Pot: 425 | Side Pot 1: 495 | Side Pot 2: 710 |
Board: [ Ks 6h 9d 2d 5s ]
shap1234 balance 1450, lost 15 (folded)
luckysevens balance 0, lost 95 [ 8s As ] [ high card ace -- As,Ks,9d,8s,6h ]
WebBull balance 2680, didn't bet (folded)
mattinkc22 balance 1390, lost 30 (folded)
wilsen balance 710, bet 615, collected 710, net +95 [ Tc Th ] [ a pair of tens -- Ks,Tc,Th,9d,6h ]
bac1374 balance 920, bet 260, collected 920, net +660 [ Qs Kd ] [ a pair of kings -- Kd,Ks,Qs,9d,6h ]
fat_nutz balance 850, lost 615 [ Ah Qh ] [ high card ace -- Ah,Ks,Qh,9d,6h ]
</font>

deacsoft
05-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Looks questionable to me. There are other factors to consider here though. The blinds are only 30/60 so you could wait and let them beat up on each other. If you did think the other palyer had a mid pair; why would you want to draw for all of you chips in a coin flip? You have plenty of time to get back in to the chips. I would wait it out next time.

It is usually not a good idea to call an all-in when some one already has it covered unless you have a monster. Why get involved with two possibly very good hands and take the chance to triple up the all-in?

fat_nutz
05-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Looks like you misread the post. I had all three of the stacks in question covered--I wasn't committing all my chips, and wasn't worried about tripling up a short stack because it was extremely short. Even after the worst-case outcome of the hand, I was in decent situation w/ chips, and if I'd drawn an ace, I'd have been well ahead on the table. I think it was an OK risk, but I'm wondering whether others would agree/disagree based on a CORRECT understanding of the hand.

Kaz The Original
05-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Here's how I would play it.

A) Be nice to anyone that takes the time to read your unformatted hand history.
B) Ask questions about strategy, not share bad beat stories.

obex
05-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Here's an opinion not influenced by reading your outcome or the other posts.

I don't understand your play here at all. The blinds are 15/30. You have a healthy stack already. You have AQs, an OK hand to raise with, an underdog for calling in most circumstances. If you are up against a pair JJ or lower, it is not a "coin flip", you are a 1.2:1 underdog. If you are up against AK,AA,KK,or QQ you are completely dominated. The raiser made a 10x BB raise (half is stack). At best you are a 1.2:1 underdog, at worst you are completely dominated. You are risking $615 to win $950. This doesn't even account for the all-in caller before you who may or may not be making a desperation play. At the 15/30 level there is still plenty of time to make a "swan song" type play. Most people wait for a chance to raise with their desperation last play, not call a 10x BB raise. I wouldn't assume he has trash.
The other issue is the value of chips in a tournament. In my mind the $600 difference between $1400 and $800 is greater than the $600 difference between $1400 and $2000, in terms of impacting my likelihood of making money in the tournament.
Given all the circumstances here I would fold your AQs without hesitation.
That being said, I have not looked at your results yet, so grain of salt, you know.

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Kaz, here's a couple tips for you.

1) Drop the condescending tone. You've made 9 posts, so I don't think you are qualified to tell me what to do around here. I don't claim to be a proven player, I'm just looking for a little help, and I think it's reasonable to encourage folks to read HH carefully if they are going to comment.

2) Learn what a bad beat is. AQ vs 10-10 can never be a bad beat, since neither is a dominant favorite. In addition, I'm clearly not drawing attention to the outcome of the hand, I'm interested in how others would play it, regardless of the outcome. Take a look at Obex's response--that was what I was looking for.

3) related to 2... it's easy for a newbie to jump on the badbeat-critical bandwagon so that they feel like a "seasoned" poker veteran, without realizing what is/isn't a badbeat, and when a story may have instructive value. Don't allow yourself to join those rookies, rookie.

Good luck at the micro-limit tables pal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patton4
05-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Regardless of how long you or I have been on this board, no matter how many posts we have, no matter if someone made a mistake while trying to discuss your hand, it does not erase the fact that you make yourself look like a jerk when you respond to people the way you do.

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
True, I may be offensive to some--but I can't stand Kaz's holier-than-thou, pot-calling-the-kettle-black condescention. I think I'm entitled to point out his hypocrisy.

William
05-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I wish you guys stopped answering to this piece of S*** Obviously you can see that he/she is just trying to cause trouble.
Learn to recognize a moron when you see one.

William /images/graemlins/mad.gif

deacsoft
05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
It is a coin flip against a mid pocket pair. Don't take the term so seriously. A coin flip doesn't have to be an even money situation. The term is generaly and loosely used to describe any near 50/50 chance or any "race situation. 1.2/1 is nearly as close as 50/50 gets to being 50/50 in hold'em. There are situations that are exactly even money. This is just one that is close. So, I say again, don't take it so seriously and it is a "coin flip".

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Folks, to put William's comment into context, I called him on a comment of his in another thread that 99.99999% of all poker players are fish. (He insinuates that he is among the chosen few who have been blessed with true poker skill.) Naturally, he is going to follow me around and badmouth me since I put a chink in the armor of his superiority complex.

BTW, William, since you are so awesome that you don't play SNGs anymore, why are you still posting here? Must be desperate for anyone who will look up to your grand-masterness.

obex
05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I rather be on the pair side of that coin then I guess.

William
05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
BTW, William, since you are so awesome that you don't play SNGs anymore, why are you still posting here? Must be desperate for anyone who will look up to your grand-masterness.

Yes, I am lonely, need constant reassuring and haven't touched a woman in 10 years.

Just like you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are we feeling a bit down today? the ugly face of everyday's reality has been around again? The 10th bankroll in a row has vanished ?

Poor poor fatzy /images/graemlins/frown.gif Please post more nice things. I miss a good flame war.. my everyday is so dull..

William /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
The 10th bankroll in a row has vanished ?

I'm a winning poker player, play virtually only SNGs, but since I don't approach anywhere near the 30% ROI that others profess, I don't pretend that I am an expert poker player.

However, I suspect I am not alone in being disgusted by your very thinly-veiled narcissism, Billy. I would wager that for every fat, sweat-pants wearing slob who eagerly laps up your ball-sweat expert poker advice, there are three readers like me out there who have a chuckle at your inflated ego.

In particular, when you say 99.99999% of all poker players are fish, it betrays the fact that your ignorance is exceeded only by your capacity for self-worship. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

William
05-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm a winning poker player, play virtually only SNGs, but since I don't approach anywhere near the 30% ROI that others profess, I don't pretend that I am an expert poker player

Ahh, so you are one of those that want to turn 50$ into 2000 in only 6 months?

I know it musy hurt to read that you are among the 99,9999999% but hey, truth hurts, and this isn't utopia yet /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't worry, if you keep swimming, you'll become a bigger fish one day (or a smaller one, it all depends how you look at it) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, you have a nasty language. Was there no soap in your trailer when you were little? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

fat_nutz
05-05-2004, 06:21 PM
It seems like you're asking, so let me tell you I've made about $3k in 9 months (my first 9 months) playing maybe an hour a day on average. Works out to ~$10/hr, which I'm happy with considering my experience level.

Now, by calling a winning player a fish, I imagine that you are thinking I would be a fish in a game above my head. However, by this reasoning, you too are also clearly a fish, since a game with the top touring professionals would kick your ass. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong--if you are a world-class pro, share your credentials with me... titles won, etc. Somehow I seriously doubt that someone who posts detailed, self-aggrandizing statements on a regular basis uses that form of recognition as a substitute for true achievement.

Uh-oh, looks like your high-horse just threw a shoe. Better get off it.

William
05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
I've made about $3k in 9 months (my first 9 months) playing maybe an hour a day on average. Works out to ~$10/hr, which I'm happy with considering my experience level.

LOL, 9 months? It takes me 6 hours to make the same amount /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll give you tho that I am not an international recognized star. But everybody respects my game where I live and bottom line, that's the only thing that matters.

9 months? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William (hyperventilating) /images/graemlins/grin.gif