PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think ?

Ponks
05-04-2004, 03:57 PM
How do you guys think I played this hand? I wasnt that sure what to do, maybe check/raise the flop and see what happens then, but I thought I'd get more of a reaction if I just bet straight out. I knew there was pretty much no way the turn was gonna get checked around so I think my turn c/r was good, what you guys think??

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (18.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 21.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21.75 BB, between Hero, MP1 and Button.</font>

Results to soon follow

Thanks
Ponks

Sam T.
05-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I don't check-raise much, and I'm not very good at picking my spots - when I try it tends to get checked around. I'm inclined to agree with another poster (I don't remember who it was) who said that at this level, you aren't going to lose much my just betting out.

It's tough to argue with success, but looking at the hand, I might have tried it on the flop, rather than the turn. With the PF betting capped you KNOW you'll get action on the flop. The second K on the turn will make overcards and pocket pairs very nervous, and could lead to a check-through. (Of course this is not what happened, but as I said, I'm not very good at this.)

I imagine MP1 put you on a flush draw - there is no other explanation for calling the flop and then betting out when the second K fell.

Bubbagump
05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
At 1/2 giving free cards is poker suicide. Bet your hand for value and hope the flush and straight draws don't get there.

Bubbagump

sublime
05-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Hey bro-
Just bet it out, check-raising I belive is best used as a decpetion tool to hide a very stong hand and trap bettors. TPTK in a heavy action pre-flop pot wouldn't qualify your hand as very strong.

charlie_t_jr
05-04-2004, 04:27 PM
With 2 flush cards, I think you have to bet out...by the way, this might be my weak/tight tendancies showing through, but is capping preflop with AK offsuit automatic here?

sorry, just realized you didn't cap.

sublime
05-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Post deleted by sublime

charlie_t_jr
05-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, makes sense. I suppose it depends though on your position, if your knocking people out or trapping them for an extra bet.

StellarWind
05-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Very well played.

Everyone is trapped on this rollercoaster until the end. You can't force legitimate draws out of this big pot so stop worrying about it.

The proper question is how can I suck as much money as possible into a pot I'm a favorite to win? On the flop you bet and hope to be allowed to reraise. Someone is likely to oblige you. On the turn you check--exactly what a drawing hand or second pair often does--and expect your relieved opponents to rush into the resulting vacuum. I can't really think of a capping hand that will let this check through and there are two other players who could easily bet.

afs
05-04-2004, 04:53 PM
He bet out when it was tptk, checkraised when the second king fell.

Ponks
05-04-2004, 05:01 PM
My hand was good as expected, one guy had JJ and other had AA

sublime
05-04-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He bet out when it was tptk, checkraised when the second king fell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoinks!!!!

Well than in the case it was a masterfull move. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sometimes my A.D.D is worse than normal /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ponks
05-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice. There arent many hands I feel that I play well, but this is definitely one of them, just had to make sure some others agree with me, cause sometimes hands I think I play well I try to get too fancy, but I think this one was just right for once!

Thanks
Ponks

Number4
05-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I like the check-raise on the turn - someone COULD have been playing their flush draw and you might give that free /images/graemlins/heart.gif away, but it's unlikely. Also, with all the raising pre-flop, there is almost no way that this is going to get checked around.

And I am thinking - why didn't AA re-raise on the flop here?

Ponks
05-04-2004, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And I am thinking - why didn't AA re-raise on the flop here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats what I'm wondering too, no way he could be afraid of a set after just 1 bet here.