PDA

View Full Version : AQo v. MP raise

06-23-2002, 12:58 AM
LL game, I just sat down, so I have no read on any of the players. I get AdQc in the small blind. MP1 raises, MP2 coldcalls, I call, big blind folds. 3 players to the flop for about 7sbs.

Ks Kc Qh flop. I bet out, MP1 calls, MP2 calls. 3 players to the turn for 10 sbs.

3d [Ks Kc Qh]. I bet again, MP1 calls, MP2 calls. 3 players to river for 8 bbs.

Qs [3d Ks Kc Qh]. I bet my fullhouse, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, shows 3s full of Ks. I win with Qs full of Ks.

Questions. Preflop, I didn't want to three bet, but felt that the 5.5 : 1.5 odds justified a call. O.K.?

On the flop, I was either beat or not, but felt that aggression was the way to go. I needed to find out if my hand was good and additionally possibly represent a K if the raiser had AA. I was ready to fold to a raise, but I wanted to test the other players? Thoughts?

Since they just called, I bet out again on the turn, expecting them to either fold or raise, since I didn't see the 3 as a card likely to hit anyone. Little did I know it almost beat me. Once again, I intended to fold to a raise.

With the river, I knew I was beat by a K, but since no one had spoken up I, I assumed that my hand was best and hit it again.

The two lingering questions in my mind were the pre-flop call and the flop bet.

I wanted to play the AQo, but didn't feel it deserved a raise and I was already in for a small bet, so it only cost me 1.5 sbs to play.

Second, I knew I wanted to find out for cheap whether my Q was worth anything and represent the K. I wasn't worried about a raise because I intended to muck and wait for a better flop to play later on. Was I thinking about that correctly since it might have been likely for the pre-flop raiser to raise me as well, even on such a scary board, to test my hand?

06-23-2002, 02:57 AM
Pre-flop: If the worst thing you pre-flop do is call a raise in SB with AQ, then there aren't many "pre-flop call" leaks in your game. Against all but the tightest of players should this be played with an MP raise. But with 1/3 and 1/2 small blinds I'd rather play the hand in button position. Meaning mucking AQ is no disaster either if you want to keep the swings down a bit unless the raisor is a maniac and the caller a loosey.

On a flop like this, you need to make a plan as to how to go about. That is the most important thing. Whether that plan is to check/call down as long as you won't have to call two bets cold or overcall the river or to bet, bet, check/call and fold if you are raised on the turn or river. The most important thing is you need a plan. When you continued betting the turn, it's a little sad to be raised and suddenly get an urge to call him down anyway. It somehow becomes a bit wrong. You made your plan which is great.

I'd be inclined to perhaps check-raise the flop. That would stop the opponents from pulling moves on you, so I think you can safely fold to any more action. If just called, you lead on the turn. That gets some more money in the times you hand is good. Poor players may burn up a few chips with AJ, AT, worse Queens or smaller pairs here.

MP2's play is bad pre-flop, terrible on the flop, crazy on the turn and debateable on the river. :-)

Gotta love those low limit opponents.

lars