PDA

View Full Version : Oh man....another BB top pair no kicker

06-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Howdy folks,

Yes I admit it I always have trouble figuring out what is the best play with top pair no kicker from the BB. Here is a hand I played today on line 1-2 PP.

Q6d

3 limpers, Late EP and 2 MP.... 4.5 bets in and 4 players.

flop is 2s Qc 9d

I consider betting out but check to see what the action will be, maybe get to checkraise a button bet. I check and next player bets, everyone else folds, I have backdoor flush possibilities, although the pot is tiny, and I wanted to raise anyway so I check raise, and it gets called.

turn is [2s Qc 9d] Tc

I bet and it gets called....hmmmmmm

river is [2s Qc 9d Tc] 5c

I check and it gets checked through.

Comments please.....I'll post the results later...

Allan

06-22-2002, 04:33 PM
well, clearly noone had the flush, but my bet is that you lost out to another Q higher kicker. With that hand in the BB you are hoping for a diamond flush draw - or a couple of 6's to fall - and that's about it. If you get any action in front of or behind you, you are probably done.

Sounds like a pretty weak/passive table so I wouldn't be too shocked if you took it down though...

06-22-2002, 05:27 PM
Bet out on flop? Check call on flop? check fold on flop?

check fold on turn when diamond or 6 doesn't fall? or check call?

River play if you make it thus far?

Allan

06-22-2002, 07:54 PM
This is one of those tricky player dependant hands. For the first limper to bet, you would assume he either had a weak queen or a 9 to bet that flop. There are no draws, so giving him credit for some pair is reasonable. If he is a very tight passive player, consider folding. If he is reasonably aggressive, I like your play, though I would bet the river. Weaker hands will call, but weaker hands won't bet. You can also safely fold to a raise.

06-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Q6 good against JT

It didn't even occur to me the straight draw that could be out, but it seems so obvious now. I think I should have bet the river, especially since I'm trying to get the opponent to fold and they will likely only call if they do at all.

These type of hands always give me trouble. Most of the time I find myself making an easy check and fold to significant action. When it came back to me with one person I thought I could get involved especially with the backdoor possibilities. With out it I think I would have mucked. If I am going to play in these spots I want as many chances for a fold as possible, therefore the checkraise. When I get called on the turn it is never a comfortable situation for me. So I wimped out on the river. I think I need to continue through with the momentum though.

Allan

06-23-2002, 03:02 AM
You should thank you opponent for not raising the turn with 14 outs and view to a free showdown.

lars

06-23-2002, 08:54 AM