PDA

View Full Version : Missed a bet here?

06-22-2002, 02:33 PM
Hi All.

Im pretty new to Hold'em. Having been playing almost 7 card stud so far, I'm starting to play more and more hold'em, since its more common..

But I must admit, that I have my troubles in the game. Specially on the flop, where I have laid down the best hands a few times, since I get easily scared, when the board looks dangerous. But it is getting better, and Im slowly beginning to build up my hold'em bankroll playing 2/4..

Here is a online 2/4 $ I played last night. My concern is weather I missed a bet or not.....

I raise UTG, with Ace-Queen(queen is a diamond), and the player to my left calls, and so does the button and SB.

All are petty solid players, maybe playing a bit to many drawing hands, before the flop. But other than that, they are pretty solid, and straight ahead players.

The flop comes: 7-ace-2 all diamonds:

I bet out, and the next player folds. Button calls, and sb folds.

The Turn is the 2 of hearts.

Then the button surprise me, by coming out betting! I'm pretty sure he haven't got a monster hand, either a flush, trips/full house, since he would have checkraised the turn. I put him on a ace, weaker than mine, as he is affraid I would check the turn, and he would miss a bet.....

I did't go with my read (one of my big faults I think), and only called him down to the river.

The river was the 3 hearts.....

He turned over Ace-jack, and I took down the pot with my bigger ace.

Any comments?,

Daniel

(ungar)

06-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Your first read should be that he has an ace. His line of play is very consistent with that holding. He is trying to prevent a free card to a hand like KhKd, but didn't want to get into a war on the flop, which likely wouldn't tell him anything. That said, he is likely drawing very nearly dead.

Calling the turn and raising the river is a nice play, but only if you think he will pay you off with AX. Otherwise, just call and let him pay you. Raising the turn is an option, but frequently you will fold the hands that are no threat to you (like AX), and will only be called by hands that are ahead. This is not as much the case on the river where people are more likely to call.