PDA

View Full Version : Q3 suited in the BB

rtucker5
05-04-2004, 10:47 AM
This was my very first hand and I knew none of the players. It was a 6 max $100 NL game at Party.

UTG limps, UTG+1 with over $400 in front of him min raises to $4. Everyone calls to me in the BB with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I call and UTG calls. 6 to the flop.

Flop:

3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to UTG+1 who bets $8. Folded to me and I make it $25. Folded back to UTG+1 who raises me all in. I call.

Standard against an unknown?

Richie Rich
05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I think you made the right move. With a very uncoordinated flop, the only hands that beat you at this point are QQ, 99 or 33.

Since he min-raised before the flop, it smells like he's more likely to be holding 33 or 99 than QQ, esp. since you're holding one of the ladies. But even these hands are not probable. I'd say he had AQ, and put you on KQ/QJ. When you re-raised him, he probably thought you were trying to bluff-steal the pot with a lesser hand.

sniperd
05-05-2004, 03:50 PM
I could easily see this player turn over AA or KK as well. I have seen that min raise up front by people who think, "Well, stacks are so deep, and since I am going to push and pick it up with my AA, I should make the pot a little worth taking."

I think the question should really be, what hand can he put YOU on? I mean, really, he is betting something like 10x the pot. Maybe he has AQ and is afraid that to get outplayed on a later street, maybe he thinks you have AQ and he has KK.

The real problem is it's an unknown player, you haven't seen him folding for an hour, or playing like a goon for an hour, so it's really tough to guess. I would think if he made a set, he would have checked, as that is very common. My guess, is this:

He has a good hand, TPBK, or KK, AA, and thinks your on the resteal or thinks you have a worse hand and doesn't want to fool around, and he thinks, "I don't know how this guy plays, and well, this hand is good, so lets put HIM to the decision." Think of it like this, with your flopped 2 pair, you probably want to get your money in right? Well, you got your wish, but you have to do it with the 4 letter word, "Call".

The only way I would lay this down is if me calling takes too much out of my bankroll. Like if I played my normal NLHE home game, ($40 buyins) and had somehow ended up sitting on $700 at the table, I am not calling much since I am not conformtable at those limits. At that point I would to just have to cash out and go home with that much money.

How did it turn out?

rtucker5
05-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. The turn and river were blanks and my 2 pair were good against an overplayed JJ.