PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a set of Kings

Jester999
05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
The game's .50/1 NLHE at Stars. Everyone at the table is a complete moron and my play is well...'Brunsonesque'....

I'm kidding, of course...onto the goods...

I've sat thru one orbit, caught the nuts, and so my stack sits at $112.90. The relevant players are the SB with $89.45 and the big stack one off UTG with $252.40.

I'm dealt K /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gifon the button. The big stack limps, I raise to 5, the small blinds calls, and the big stack calls. I have no notes and no read so I just go on what I think might be possible. I can't put the SB on anything yet, but the limp and call by the big stack reeks of a small to middling pair. 3 to the flop. It is...

7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Top set in position is always a good thing. Both check to me and I bet $10 into a $16 pot. Both quickly call. I think I'm up against the other King for sure, probably two pair, and I'm also smelling a smaller set. The turn is...

Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

It's not a card I like, but the A 10 seems unlikely to me. I decide at the very least I'd like to narrow the field and I don't mind taking down a $50 pot right now. Q 10 has crossed my mind and it's a hand I want out. They both check to me. The pot's $46 and I bet $50. The SB check raises me the rest of his money and the the big stack sets me all in with yet another check raise. The pot is $265.35 and I think very little before calling with my last $47.90.

Thoughts and opinions? Errors...egregious or otherwise? Results below in white:
<font color="white">The SB turned over A10 of spades for the nuts and the big stack turned over KQ for two pair?!?!?!?!?! </font>

sniperd
05-04-2004, 11:32 AM
The only other hand I could see somebody having would be 9 10. I have seen far too many people call big pre with that hand, figuring if you hit 2 big pair, they have a big str draw. Of course, this logic is bad, since they have the idiot end, but... you know.. lots of bad players on line.

I like how you played the hand, the quick calls on the flop could be str draws but.. I mean, you have top set, I can't see laying this down on the turn there are so many legit hands you are way ahead of, and a few not so good hands you have ahead of, and just 2 that you are behind on (A 10, 9 10) but you still have outs!

I hope you took this one down.

schwza
05-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Automatic call. If one of them shows you his straight, you still call. 3.6:1 to fill up and the pot's offering you better than 250:50 = 5:1.

Scottnyce
05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
easy call....I would put the Big stack on QQ maybe....as stated before the pot odds require you to call even if showed the straight before the river is dealt.

If he has 9-T or A-T, reload and be happy they are at your table.

Jester999
05-04-2004, 11:58 AM
I know the math makes the call on the check raise automatic. I guess more than anything else I wondered if anyone would have bet differently on the turn. Once I wrote the hand down it wasn't quite as interesting as I first thought.

Thanks for the replies.

Jester999
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he has 9-T or A-T, reload and be happy they are at your table.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sniperd
05-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I know that the result is moot, since it's advice your looking for, but I always want to know what happened! Did you take it down, what did they have?

tewall
05-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I think you played it fine, but have a quibble with one of your comments.

[ QUOTE ]
Q 10 has crossed my mind and it's a hand I want out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want QT out, you want it in! You're a big favorite over this hand, so if you knew someone had it, your strategy (taking just this hand into consideration) should be to bet the maximum he would *call*, not the minimum to get him to fold.

Jester999
05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't want QT out, you want it in! You're a big favorite over this hand, so if you knew someone had it, your strategy (taking just this hand into consideration) should be to bet the maximum he would *call*, not the minimum to get him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's sloppy thinking on my part. With two people still in the pot I got nervous and overbet the turn. Weak play.

This is actually what I was getting at. I think the turn bet is a mistake. I don't think I'm getting off the hand regardless of what goes down, but I would feel better if I had played the hand sans this mistake.

Comments always appreciated.

Jester999
05-04-2004, 12:29 PM
As for results, when I post I always include them below my post in white. Simply click and drag below my last comments to see them.

I hate it when results aren't included.

tewall
05-04-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't think the bet was a mistake, just the thinking. You're probably ahead, so you want to get action, and your play was appropriate for that. This is one of those hands that if you get beat, that's just that.

If your stack was a lot deeper, you're decision would be more difficult, but as it was, it's a very easy decision to commit the rest of your stack to this hand. Even if you're unlucky enough to be behind at this point, you still have a lot of outs.

Buckmulligan
05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I think that the play you made would have been better suited had you been more aggressive before the flop. I think you should have made it 10$-15$ to go; then there would have been a lot more money in the pot to take a big stab at on the turn.

However, your raise preflop along with your reads would encourage me to check the turn and call/value bet(1/3 pot on the river (assuming A,T, or 9 doesn't come). AT seems very possible to me, and that hand would be checking to you on the turn. If you are against the solid 2 pairs sets you think you are, those hands will will most likely bet the river and you can extract value by just calling, and save the bet bet if he turns over the nuts. If it's checked to you on the river, you know you have the best hand, and I would value bet it.