PDA

View Full Version : AK

06-22-2002, 01:39 PM
online 2/4, loose and aggressive.

I raise UTG with Ad Kd, UTG+1 reraises, the button cold calls three, BB calls two, I cap at four bets and all call.

The flop is god awful...5s 5c 3h

The blind checks to me, I bet hoping UTG+1 will raise and maybe get it heads up but he just calls. The other two fold for one bet anyway (very surprising with this table).

The turn is the As. I bet, +1 calls.

River is a blank, I bet, he calls, I win.

This seems rather standard, was just curious as to what the forum thinks.

Thanks.

06-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Yes this is very standard.

Anyone who is stupid enough to call a cap PF holding anything that would hit them on this flop is nuts. So, clearly you bet and try to lose some of the riff-raff - which you were able to do. When the turn comes A you are good to go and have a very high % of having the best hand.

Not sure what else you wanted to see with a hand like this - pretty elementary...

06-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Your line of play was okay. However, I am not sure about capping with ace-king suited when you are out of position with the 3-bettor. The reason is because with position the flop may get checked to you allowing you the option of taking a free card if you wish. In addition, with position you can raise a flop bet more effectively to thin the field if you like.

06-22-2002, 11:41 PM
This is excactly why our hero should cap. Capping instead of calling here is a pure value move that increases the importance of the actual value on the hand rather than the edge opponents have by having best position LATER on in the hand. Capping AKs here four-way is for pure value.

It also obviously made a couple of opponents a FTOP mistake, who folded their overcards on the flop in fear of drawing slim or dead (in the case of KQ, QJ, JT) against a pre-flop capper. As it turned out, I am not surprised if UTG+1 actually had a slightly worse Ace (probably AQ), and by getting the two other opponents to fold our hero got it heads-up with possibly just three losing cards instead of something like 12.

lars