PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pair frustration

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I've often heard players in tournaments complain that they haven't seen a pocket pair in ages. here's the flip side from a 'Stars 2T SNG last night.

Level I, 10/20 blinds, all 18 left. I have 1500 in chips.

2 off the button I get Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG (1800) raises to 40, folded to me, I reraise to 160, BB (1760) calls, UTG now reraises all-in. Shaking my head and muttering, "it's still early", I fold, as does the BB.

The very next hand, level has gone up to 15/30, I now have 1340, I get J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Folded to me, I make it 90 to go, button calls, blinds fold. (pot=225)

Flop: T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet 180, button thinks for quite a while and calls. (pot = 585)

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Steam is coming out of my ears, but rationally, there's no way my J /images/graemlins/club.gif can be good. I check, button bets 300, I fold. Button politely shows his K /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

3 hands later I get 99 UTG, limp, get 3 limpers and have to check-fold on a monochrome 2-overcard flop.

The very next hand I get TT in the BB, call the 4x BB raise after 2 callers (yes, in retrospect, I think this is a poor decision), and fold when the SB comes out betting on a J-high flop.

6 minutes after this all started, I'm left with 890.

I go on to finish third. My goal is to try to be that centered and disciplined all the time. The biggest battle is indeed with yourself.

Pitcher
05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Wow Kurn,

Damned impressive to recover so well. Way to stay cool. I am not sure I could have done it on those Jacks....on my better days maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
I go on to finish third. My goal is to try to be that centered and disciplined all the time. The biggest battle is indeed with yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo,

This is the toughest thing!

Pitcher

TylerD
05-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you're playing too tight to me. What level was this?

thomastem
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're playing too tight to me. What level was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement.

If I believe I can outplay most of the table I fold Qs to the all in bets for the first few levels. Easier ways to build my stack will present themselves.

As for J-J Kurns $180 bet on the flop made it incorrect for for the flush draw to call but not a hand with a flush draw, inside straight draw, and an overcard at least not with implied odds.

This is a tough flop and since it is early it could be argued to check and save your chips for another battle. To make sure he isn't getting pot odds to call it takes an awfully large bet and we're not sure we are ahead here. Why risk it early?

I'd have played even tighter and check folded J-J on the flop.

PS It's early so I'm assuming no clear cut reads. A read could/would alter my play.

jimotto
05-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Last night, 2nd hand of a 20+2 multi on pokerroom, blinds are 10-20. I get KK in mid position.

Two limpers to me and I make it 80.

Small blind makes it 200.

One of the limpers calls, I raise to 600.

I tell myself if I get reraised all in one of them has to have bullets.

Small blind goes all in. Limper folds.

I say screw it, call, he flips the bullets /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
What level was this?

$20 + 2

Sounds like you're playing too tight to me.

On the first hand, I'll take the chance I'm folding the best hand. If I call, I'll likely bring the BB along with me, guaranteeing 2 overcards will beat me. That being said a minraise/all-in 3rd raise *after* a caller slants the odds too much towards AA in my book. If this is a bluff now, his tendencies will become clear soon enough for me to pick him off later.

on the JJ hand, what is he calling my flop bet with? I have the J, and the T & 9 are on the board. Is he really sticking around with an 8-high flush draw?

In the TT hand, I've got two players yet to act behind me, any call commits me to the pot, so my only choice is to push in. That looks like suicide.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I think it's alot harder to fold KK than QQ in that situation.