PDA

View Full Version : 10+1 Help Needed - 5 hands

NotReady
05-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I've been playing online with some success at small stakes for about 2 years, up to 3/6, and have recently started 6 max 1/2 on PEP, and up to 2/4 on Crypto, doing good so far, but still wait and see.

I've now done 4 5+1 and 18 10+1 SnGs on PEP, had a good run to start, but have only 1 money in the last 10 (1st).

Numbers are

Buy-in $222 Net $78 ROI 35%

7 in the money, all 1st. Avg finish 3.95.

I realize 22 tourneys are a small sample, but I seem to have a problem on the bubble. Below are 5 hands which are typical of my exits most of the time. I feel uncertain when it gets down to the last 4 or 5, but very comfortable about what to do early and when in the money. Either I'm running bad on the bubble, or have a major leak at this point. Please feel free to flame or whatever, really need some input on my late play. Thanks

Hand # 1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

MP (t2105)
CO (t1905)
Button (t490)
Hero (t490)
BB (t875)
UTG (t2135)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls t100, Button folds, Hero raises to t490 (All-In), BB folds, CO calls t390.

Flop: (t1080) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t1080) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t1080) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t1080

Results: <font color="white"> CO had 55. </font>

Hand # 2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

SB (t1600)
BB (t1545)
Hero (t1460)
MP (t1935)
Button (t1460)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero raises to t400, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t900) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets t1145 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2045

Results: <font color="white"> This crippled me, went out a few hands later. </font>

Hand # 3

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

Hero (t1320)
UTG (t2430)
Button (t2960)
SB (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Button raises to t600, SB folds, Hero raises to t1320 (All-In), Button calls t720.

Flop: (t2790) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t2790) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t2790) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t2790

Results: <font color="white">Button had 66.</font>

Hand # 4

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed)

Hero (t800)
CO (t1380)
Button (t655)
SB (t1735)
BB (t660)
UTG (t975)
MP1 (t1795)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero raises to t800 (All-In), CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t750, BB calls t560 (All-In).

Flop: (t2260) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t2260) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in) </font>

River: (t2260) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t2260

Results: <font color="white"> SB had 99, BB had JJ. </font>

Hand # 5

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed)

MP2 (t450)
CO (t1815)
Button (t1600)
Hero (t690)
BB (t365)
UTG (t1470)
MP1 (t1610)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls t100, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t100, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets t590 (All-In), BB folds, MP1 calls t590, Button folds.

Turn: (t1580) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t1580) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t1580

Results: <font color="white"> MP1 had Kd2d. </font>

obex
05-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Hand 1 seems reasonable - you're short-stacked, you'll be blinded out soon, you have a decent hand against a single limper, with added equity from a big blind steal.

Hand 2 seems reasonable as well - tried for a blind a steal with a decent hand, and you were able to get away from it. I'm not sure why you feel this crippled you - you still had 1000 with 5 players battling for 3 spots, not a horrible place to be.

Hand 3 seems reasonable. AQ is probably the weakest hand I would play against a raise here given the bubble circumstances.

Hand 4 I don't like. You're risking the game for a blind steal worth 150 - reasonable players won't call without 2 overcards (against which you are only about a 1.2:1 favorite), or a higher pocket pair (against which you are dominated). You have a fair chance of stealing, but you aren't very happy if you get a caller, and there are still 4 players yet to play. If you had better position, or the blinds were worth more I can see it, but you're not in desperation time with seven players still in and t800 - I would wait for a better hand and dump it personally. 2nd option would be to try to steal with a smaller bet in the 200-300 range and be prepared to dump it if you get reraised (or called without hitting your set).

Hand 5 you just got outdrawn. Even with 14 outs he shouldn't have called you. You can't bet less here given your stack size and the pot odds you must deny any drawing hands. With your stack size at the BB 100 level you really can't wait for a better opportunity.

NotReady
05-04-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 seems reasonable as well - tried for a blind a steal with a decent hand, and you were able to get away from it. I'm not sure why you feel this crippled you - you still had 1000 with 5 players battling for 3 spots, not a horrible place to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt crippled because next hand I would be BB, so after the blinds I'm down to 760, then on button blinds would increase to 300/600. It felt like now or never, or luck out in the blinds, plus on the button my steal power is mostly gone because of the blind increase. My issue on this hand was whether I should have folded on the flop, or maybe pushed pre-flop and avoided this dilemma. It was really an experiment to raise for less than my stack, since that hadn't been working.
Also, after this hand the stacks were 2045,1935,1500 and 1460, and I'm left with 1060 - as you say, not horrible, except for being the BB followed by the blind increase. I felt much indecision about calling or folding, and wonder if a push pre-flop would have been better.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4 I don't like

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. To be honest, I was playing 2 and in the middle of my only recent win on the other table, so I took a quick stab at this one. After I reviewed it, I thought it was pretty bad, just wanted some feedback to be sure. I don't think I'm ready for multi-tables yet, much different timing problems than playing multi ring games.

joeboss
05-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I agree that hand #4 is the most questionable... putting the tourny on the line with many behind you and your likely a coin flip or dominated... wasnt totaly horrible though.

Chief911
05-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Here's my take. Although I think a 9 game streak out of the money is just that, a streak.

Hand 1 - I dont like the all in here personally. You are about to have a few free hands, and JQs is bound to lose to someone with a pocket pair or A or K high. Now if it was the BB doing this, I'd think about it. But its not a bad decision, I'm just not sure I would have.

Hand 2 - That's a tough one. When he didnt fold to your raise, unless you have a good read, its hard not to fold. I think you made a good decision. Fight another day.

Hand 3 - Unless the buttom was routintely stealing your blinds, I'd let him have it. That said, its close to a coin flip.

Hand 4 - I dont think I'd all in with 77 with that many people still in the game. Down to 4, yah, but not here. You had 4 people to act behind you who could have dominating hands. If you want to, limp in, but I dont think I'd go all in. And like you saw, two people had bigger hands that would have shown if you had better position (button or such) or had limped (They would have raised most likely).

Hand 5 - Tough hand. I think you did the right think going all in with top pair, just ran into someone with a flush draw and bottom pair, and they stayed in. Nothing really wrong here I dont think.

Stick with it. I'm grinding through a tough stretch right now too, I'm just trying to tighten up my game, and play solid. Let the morons weed themselves out.

Chief911

MVicuna
05-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi,

Hand #1. Unless they are limping with low suited connectors pushing in with QJs is almost always getting your money in with the worst of it. If its just you and the blinds QJs is good enough to push in with. Against a limper you'd always be behind.

Hand #2. Raise more. AJ is a strong hand 5 handed, it is not a 'stealing hand'. I think he's pushing in with at best 1 pair since your weak raise said you didn't like your hand that much. I'd still fold too in this position. If I had played the hand half of my chips would have been in preflop and his bet would have been only 1/4 the pot and I would have called with my 2 over cards and hoped I got lucky.

hand #3.

This is a great place to call and then push on any flop. You still get all the chips in, but the button is in an obvious steal position and could be making that move with any 2 cards. Preflop he's going to call with almost anything when you reraise in. With AQ there is a good chance you'll flop a pair or you will hold 2 over cards. A push in on the flop and he has to decide if the flop is to scarey to call. Going all in preflop and he calls with almost any 2 cards in a heartbeat.

Hand #4

I can't fault you for moving in with 77 preflop with just 7xBB. With 7 people in and 5 to act behind you its a crap shoot. I'd have to be a lot more desperate to move in here. Limping is out of the question, so I'd hate to do it, but I'd fold.

Make it 4 handed and I'm getting my chips in with only 7xBB.

Hand #5

Nothing you can do here. He's the favorite with 1 pair and 1 over card and the flush draw. I was expecting to see KJ or AJ. The value in QJs isn't hitting 1 pair, its in the flush and str8 draws.

7 handed, when you hit 1 pair with QJ its usually the 2nd best hand.

Thanks,
MarkV.

prairieboy
05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Hand 1: With your stack and that many players already in the pot, your all in-bet is almost guaranteed to be called. I'd prefer to just call preflop and see what develops.

Hand 2: This is a tough spot. Your big mistake here is you couldn't decide if you wanted to wuss out and fold, or raise your AJs, so you compromised with the min-raise.

Problem is that this wasn't enough of a raise to steal the blinds and when the flop missed you, you didn't have enough of a hand to call the BB's bet. Maybe the BB had a hand, maybe he hit part of the flop or maybe he sensed your weakness and attacked.

You can't compromise with this hand. Either be in the game attacking, or get out of there ASAP. With the blinds this large and your stack that small, I'd vote for attacking.

Hand 3: You'll be ahead in this hand more often than you're behind. The chip leader will almost always put pressure on the small stack's blinds and will raise with a wide variety of hands.

Had the SB called, I might fold and hope that the big stack takes him out, but once the SB is gone, your all-in raise is fine. Alternatively, you could flat call the raise and then bet all-in on the flop.

Hand 4: I don't like this play. Anyone who calls you here will have (at least) overcards to your 7's so (at best) you're a coin toss to win this hand. Also you still have enough chips where you can make a credible raise (say 300) without going all in.

If you're trying to steal the blinds, go ahead and raise 300. Otherwise, save your money and fold.

Hand 5: Well played.

Jason Strasser
07-13-2004, 11:19 AM
This post is ancient, so if you are the type that likes to keep skeletons in your closet I'm very sorry.

Hand One: GAH. This position sucks. You know that you are not going to get the limper to fold if you push. Then again, if you saw his hand was 55, and you knew the BB would fold, it is perfectly fine to take this coinflip with the little juice added on from the BB's dead money. I'm not a huge fan of calling off 10% of your stack to see the flop, but I don't think its a horrible play. You are getting 5:1 on the call. I'd say this is close between pushing and calling, I lean towards calling here, and pushing if I get a pair or if I have a flush or straight draw.

Hand 2: Bad. Terrible bad awful. Min raising UTG with this hand is bad. Not good. Bad!

Ok, I'm finished. The BB is 200, you have 1600, this is all-in or fold. At the level I play on, I feel good about going all-in with this hand. It costs 300 to play around, and you have a great shot at taking down the blinds. If you have a strange table, or big stacks who love making bad calls, then fold. Min raising is cautious and weak in this spot.

Hand 3: Perfect. Calling is horrible, folding is also horrible.

Hand 4: I already commented on it. I like it.

Hand 5: Similar to hand one, I like this approach better. You played it perfect.

Hope this helped,
-Jason

NotReady
07-13-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This post is ancient, so if you are the type that likes to keep skeletons in your closet I'm very sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two months is ancient? You misunderstand. This is not a skeleton. This is poker theory. Reading the other thread jogged my memory, that's all. I don't post that often, and usually do so for a good reason.

Thanks for the reply.

Jason Strasser
07-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Lol, I said that tongue and cheek. There was also a slight reference to Eminem there... But it's not like any of you would get that /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Gluck

P.S. I just may give up on humor

NotReady
07-13-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't, this world can use all it can get.

Sorry I missed that, I usually don't. Too early?

As for eminem, I prefer the ones with peanuts.

Stoneii
07-13-2004, 11:40 AM
See the problem is, you guys changed the spelling and it's now completely lost on us Euro types

Stoneii

PrayingMantis
07-13-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't! One of the funniest things in this forum is how nobody ever understand your jokes! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jason Strasser
07-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Hahahaha... My really bad career in making jokes then being forced to explain them probably started before 1998, but here is something for your amusement. Why it is still on the internet I have no idea!
Jason's Report on a Bike Trip in China (http://www.kidlink.org/KIDPROJ/VChina98/fischer422.html)