PDA

View Full Version : QQ on the River - What to Do?

Number4
05-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

The only read I have so far is that BB is a maniac who loves to cap and bet with nothing.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (26 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (19 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (31 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 34 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 34 BB, between CO, SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (34 BB).</font>

I thought the correct play (if he really had threes) would be to go for a check-raise on the river, but it also didn't make any sense for him to go for a bluff to try and win with all the betting that had been going on. Was the call on the river correct (comments on other streets welcome also).

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 7c 3c (three of a kind, threes).
Hero shows Qc Qs (two pair, queens and threes).
CO shows As Ac (two pair, aces and threes).
Outcome: SB wins 34 BB. </font>

DamnRiver
05-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Based on your read of BB I like your play. You have no reason to think you're behind at any point here. But there's something else to learn here...

NEVER slowplay AA! CO cost himself the hand here by not speaking up early and often. If CO 3-bets PF the SB isn't even in this hand.

cold_cash
05-04-2004, 10:59 AM
I think you played it fine. Someone that has been checking and calling and all of a sudden comes to life on the river is usually call for concern. Even though you're probably behind I don't think you can fold it for one bet on the end.

What would you have done if the BB had raised his river bet?

Number4
05-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Had the SB gone for a check-raise on the river, I would definitely have put him on the 3 - or maybe even slowplaying a flopped set or something. But with the pot this big, even though I knew I was probably behind, I would probably have called.

Raiser
05-04-2004, 11:22 AM
I'd call the river too. On a board like that I've seen opponents bet thinking that their 9 is good. You only need to win 1 pot in 32 to make this call correct. I'd say that's a legitimate assumption at these tables.

And, shame, shame, shame on CO for his god-awful play.

Nak
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
I like the call on the river. With all those calling stations you are surely not getting anyone out, and there is more of a chance that you are beat.

Nak

Jaran
05-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I am a little unsure about the cap pf, but given your read on the BB, I guess it's fine. Like it on all other streets, including the river. (remember that most pp players aren't that tricky) I hope you won, but I'm thinking he prolly did show you the three.

-Jaran

DoctorDrew
05-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I think you played it fine. SBs coming to life is always an Uh-Oh moment. But, if you stuck around I am sure you took a fair amount of money from him.

And CO is obviously a complete oaf.

kiemo
05-04-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NEVER slowplay AA! CO cost himself the hand here by not speaking up early and often. If CO 3-bets PF the SB isn't even in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highly doubtful. Looks like SB was coming along even if the betting was capped preflop. And can you blame him, his hand was suited!!

afk
05-04-2004, 01:20 PM
I like it front to back.

DamnRiver
05-04-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Highly doubtful. Looks like SB was coming along even if the betting was capped preflop. And can you blame him, his hand was suited!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And he had a baby straight gutshot! How could I have been so blind to miss seeing such a beautiful starting hand /images/graemlins/cool.gif

easypete
05-04-2004, 03:48 PM
It's very obvious to me that SB played this correctly.

It was soooooted.

Obviously had a runner runner flush draw on the flop as well as a very strong pair w/ a great kicker. Let's not forget the straight draw.

By the way.... what was this players name? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think you played this right. Good slow-down on river.