PDA

View Full Version : Badly played AA?

Tapped
05-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Ok here's a hand in a recent 700 player $30+2 NLHE tournament on Party.

About 630 players left, blinds still at 10/15. Almost everyone has 1000 chips.

I'm in MP with 3 limpers to me, am dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gif a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I raise to 100, button calls, UTG completes(85), everyone else folds.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks to me, I bet 200, Button and UTG calls.

River is 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets 100 to me, I raise to 200, button calls, UTG goes all-in (500).

I ponder a bit and call the all-in, thinking he has maybe QQ or KK. Button folds.

Results below:
<font color="white">
River is a blank, UTG wins pot with 33.
Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, was distracted by another table, but I felt suckered. Comments?

</font>

Jon Matthews
05-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Preflop and flop are fine, although raising to more than 100 means that it is no longer correct for a small pair to call to hit a set and you may be more likely up against a big ace.

On the turn he bet less than 1/4 pot and you min-raised. Why? Just call this and be suspicious as to why he is still betting out of position. Or go all in but don't dribble chips on the table when you are so vulnerable.

River. Most of the time when you have been involved in a raised pot and with a flop and turn played like that, you are up against a set. And here, I would have thought 8's or J's. KK or QQ is much more likely to try to take it down on the flop or turn, as would T9s, 99, TT or AJ. They are unlikely to check call a flop like that. Would you with those cards?

Jon

SossMan
05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Preflop is good.

I would have bet more on the flop....pot is ~T330 and you bet T200. I would have made a pot sized bet to discourage thin draws.

On the turn, when they post oak bet into a player who has shown considerable streangth, it means one of two things. Big hand (set, st8, top two) or they want a cheap draw. I think more times than not, this bet is an open ender or a flush draw, or a pair and a flush draw and they don't want you to push on them.
I would have pushed on the turn. I hate the mini-raise. It doesn't give you any information, it doesn't charge any draws, it barely makes any chips when they do have an overpair smaller than yours. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

The way it was played, there's not a whole lot you could have done. If the stacks were bigger, you probably could have gotten off of this hand, but with these stack sizes and this structure tourney, you are committed to the pot after the flop. If you don't get all your chips in here, people are gonna run over you online.

Grade: B- /images/graemlins/grin.gif