PDA

View Full Version : Hand to talk about

06-21-2002, 04:41 PM
I haven't played a lot of cards lately. I had a few flaws in my game that I felt I needed to work on. One of those flaws/leaks is playing small pocket pairs in early postion. Last evening I had the following hand at the Trop in Atlantic City. The hand took place at a $4-8 game. The game had a loose passive texture.

I limped in second UTG with pocket sixes. Four other players limped in and the button raised. The blinds called the raise as did everyone else. Eight of us saw the flop for two bets each. The flop came 6 3 9 raindbow. Both blinds checked and I bet out. I got called by two players and the initial raiser. An ace came on the turn. I checked with the intention of checkraising. I figured if the button had pocket aces he would have reraised the flop. Sure enough it got checked to the button who bet. I raised and he called and we were now head to head. The river brought another Ace. I bet out and the button raised me. I thought for a bit and decided to go with my initial read of this player and reraise. He made a crying call and showed AQ. He caught a running set of aces and I beat him with my sixes full over aces.

Now I see why some players never muck pocket pairs. My opponent managed to catch just enough to get him in trouble.

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated.

Best Wishes

MK

06-21-2002, 04:51 PM
An ace came on the turn. I checked with the intention of checkraising. I figured if the button had pocket aces he would have reraised the flop. Sure enough it got checked to the button who bet. I raised and he called and we were now head to head.

Good read on the button. You certainly won the max from *him*.

However, when you check/raise the turn, and make it two bets cold to the two players between you, you will likely knock them out of the hand.

You should consider the likely hands of these players as well, decide which hands you want in, and which hands you want out, and act accordingly. Most likely both of these players are drawing dead, in which case you would like to pick up extra bets from them if possible.

06-21-2002, 08:09 PM
Good point, nf.

06-21-2002, 09:37 PM

06-22-2002, 04:42 AM
Playing small pairs in early position is frequently wrong, but it is never wrong by a lot. If you can anticipate the type of multiway action that occurred in the hand you played, then you should play all small pairs up front.

06-22-2002, 04:49 AM
Most likely both of these players are drawing dead, in which case you would like to pick up extra bets from them if possible.

On an A,3,6,9 board, there are enough gut-shot straight draws possible that you want them to either fold or make the mistake of cold-calling two big bets. If you were going to check and call, then it was best to simply bet the turn yourself. The whole point of checking the turn is to raise the button's bet.

06-22-2002, 04:51 AM
I haven't played a lot of cards lately

Why the hell not!? That was a perfect read on the turn. And, just as good on the river.

06-22-2002, 05:23 AM
I didn't say anything about checking and calling. I said that his check raise would likely result in eliminating the two players between him and the button. I then said he should consider if this is what he wants.

I was thinking more along the lines of bet/3-bet if the button will raise with an Ace.

06-22-2002, 06:33 AM
The question is whether those in between players will call any bets on the turn, and given that its unlikely they will do so without an ace, I think you are better off checkraising and punishing the ace thats out there than hoping that other players will call on fumes.

06-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. I have taken a little time off of cards because I fear I may have turned into a predictable weak tight player.I never play small pairs from early postion and once I have even mucked pocket 10's preflop from the BB to a three bet. The play turned out to be correct, however I needed time away from the game to sort out some leaks I feel I have. Playing small pairs in early postion in a loose weak game is one of those weaknesses.

I agree with Mason in early position I usually muck most little pocket pairs, especially pockets 7's and below. However the players in this game were very loose and passive. I also wanted to expand my hand selection a bit. I have the discipline to get away from the hand if I didnt flop a set.

I am playing cards again today, and I must say it does feel good to be back . /images/biggrin.gif