PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bad Beat in Hold Em

04-15-2002, 12:04 PM
What do you guys think is the worst bad beat in Hold em. The type of bad beat that turns your stomach and makes you go on tilt for hours. I'm talking about the type of bad beat that makes you want to choke the dealer and curse out the player....For my money, I think the set over set is the worst bad beat in Hold em. What do you guys think??

04-15-2002, 12:25 PM
I have seen the worst beat ever- some guy has pocket 2's in the bigblind...3 or 4 limpers cant remember...flop comes down 228! He checks late player bets, guy with quads calls. Pot is not head up. turn card is Jack, quads check late player bets quads calls. River card Jack, Quads now bets and late player raises it goes about 15-16 or so bets! late player turns up JJ- However there is a good point to this truely awful beat. Jackpot paid out $56,000 and 40% went to the guy with the twos!

3 2 1

04-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Balt999- The worst bad beat is the one which affects you so much it disrupts your ability to play properly. Bad beats come and go...and players who let beats upset them mostly...GO....Dont' sweat the small stuff...get the chips, buddy. Babe

04-15-2002, 01:35 PM
that may be the worst bad beat that occurs with some frequency. but what about one time bad beats? like cloutier losing the WSOP to ferguson with multiple tied hands? or some of the ones discussed in the gambling theory book?

pat

04-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Never let anything make you go on tilt for hours. Get up and walk away and don't play again til you're over it!

Having said that, set over set sucks. But sets get beat so often, by other sets, straights and flushes, that it doesn't set me off (pardon the pun). When I flop a monster like a full house, slowplay it and get beat on the river when someone hits their one or two outer, that's what sets me off.

04-15-2002, 04:08 PM
I think the set over set is the worst bad beat in Hold em.

This is ridiculous. It's not even close to a bad beat. The player with the bigger set had the better hand from start to finish.

04-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Flopping a set of aces, putting a player all in, and then having said player catch a runner runner flush with J 10 off suit.

I feel confident we can discuss many different scenarios of bad beats...take your pick.

MK

04-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Playing 5-card double draw, no joker, no-limit in a small town in Texas. I start with 2 A's. Pull another one on the draw, and the last one on the second draw. Sitting there with four aces, pot is already pretty big, with 2 others in there, who didn't draw the second draw. I'm sure they're looking at straights or flushes. I get them all in, of course, cause that's what I like to do. First guy turns over 2-4-5-6-A offsuit, and other guy mucks. "What the hell is that nonsense?" I yell, laughing in his face. Needless to say they were playing lowball. I knew I should have asked more questions before I sat down.

04-15-2002, 04:54 PM

04-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Were you playing a 53 card deck your post mentions 5 aces.

U liar! LOL

3 2 1

04-15-2002, 05:24 PM

04-15-2002, 05:27 PM
on a related note i played in a home game with two jokers that both counted as wild cards. I got dealt a joker and four 5's, for five of a kind. It was unlimited raises and after the draw i raised my opponent all in. He had drawn three cards to what looked like a pair. Unfortunately he drew to JJ and got Joker-J-J for five jacks. The worst part is that it was only his second time playing ever.

pat

04-15-2002, 05:29 PM

04-15-2002, 07:27 PM
You eat well, excersise, don't drink or smoke and the doctor tells you that you are in perfect health. While walking out of his office, you get hit by a bus and die, that would be a real bad beat. No matter how well you try to always do the right thing, or no matter how rosy things seem to be, there are time you just can't escape fate. Next hand please.

04-16-2002, 01:02 AM
The worst bad beat I have ever witnessed happened to a friend of mine. He has QQ and it is capped preflop with 7 players.

The flop came Q44 and my friend who was the big blind simply bet out. It was capped on the flop. The turn was a 4. Again he bet out and got called in two spots. The river was a 4 and my friend checked. There was a bet and a call and my friend folded. Both of the remaining players had an ace...one had AK and the other A5.

I read the posts above and most of them are not what I would call a bad beat. When you opponent hits his over pair on the river, especially when there hasnt been a lot of action, this is not a bad beat. It is just something that happens. To me a bad beat is when somone hits something on the river that they should never have been in there for in the first place.

04-16-2002, 01:13 AM
This 'type' of beat is doubtlessly the worst. I saw one of these about a week ago where the flop came 722, and the guy with pocket 7's lost to an A3o after the running deuces hit.

I've been victimized by this particular beat only twice, so in a sense I've been lucky, but I've also managed to lose with three str8 flushes (one of them flopped)... so I think it balances out.

04-16-2002, 11:43 AM
http://catbirdtommy.com/PD%20archives/theworstbeatever.html

-------------

This is a link to the worst bad beat story I could make up. As usual it festered on my hard drive for a year or so before being published. And as usual, the story was mainly a vehicle to make some point or whatever. Then TJ publishes a magazine article at almost the same time that tells a similar story, except that his was true! So then I got accused of plagiarism and I'm like, wow, THAT'S a bad beat!

Tommy

04-16-2002, 12:45 PM

04-16-2002, 01:37 PM
He published it in his NL holdem book too though. - virtually under the same title. (In fact, I think all of TJ's Card Player articles were originally published in his books) - that bad beat story is one of them, but I've only seen it once. Of course, that time TJ got the better end of it.

Now if I hear that "Big Texan" story one more time, I'm gonna go down there and start busting heads...LOL

RB

04-16-2002, 01:45 PM
you lying sack of chit...

04-16-2002, 02:29 PM
OK, first of all, I don't think set over set is a bad beat. The higher pocket pair was in the lead from the very start. To me, a bad beat is when the opponent catches a miracle card on the river to win against significant odds.

Here is the worst bad beat story I know. This is 4-8 holdem. My friend has AK. Flop is AAK. My friend gets continually reraised by a lovely idiot player at the table. In 4-8 holdem, they have put in over $120 on the flop, with the idiot having gone all in to the felt. The turn and river are 2, 2, giving the pot to the idiot, who has of course pocket deuces. Yes, he went all in with $120 on the flop.

"It gets worse," my friend told me, "because the dealer was my wife!"

True story. /images/smile.gif

QT

04-16-2002, 05:08 PM
That has to either be a cold deck or a BS story. People are stupid, but I have trouble believing anyone could be THAT bad, it just doesn't make sense. Even KK would slow down after, say, the 10th raise. Sorry, just seems a little strange to me...

Jeff

04-16-2002, 05:59 PM
you would think so but a friend of mine went nine raises with a flush against a paired board, so anything can happen.

Pat

04-16-2002, 06:15 PM
My friend has played/dealt poker for something like 20 years, and has never exaggerated any poker hand story in the 3 years I have known him. It was in a home game, and it most unfortunately is a true story.

04-16-2002, 06:19 PM
I was at the bar one night after work with my co-worker and her boyfriend, and I asked if he would give me a ride to my homegame. He decided he wanted to play. He had never played hold'em before, but he wanted to play. They had a 1-2 and a 2-4 table. He was playing 1-2 when he went fifteen bets on the turn with ace-rag, when the board was like A T 2 2. My friend Dave had TT. Some people just have no idea . . . it's like they really think someone's just going to fold if you put in the fourteenth raise. . .

04-16-2002, 06:58 PM
In my observation, new holdem players seem to make the most mistakes with two pair. For example, player has 88, board is A77, and he bets. He gets raised and he re-raises. After the hand, a friend says to him "what the hell was that?" And the answer is always "isn't two pair pretty good??!"

04-19-2002, 02:03 PM
The worst bad beat is when you have the best of it but are very short on chips and there is not chance of winning a jackpot.

Years ago I beat a King high straight flush with a Royal. He had the 9, I had the Ace. I had the option to rebuild my stack before the hand but didn't. I only had about $15 in front of me when the cards were dealt. There were quite a few callers in this hand with lots of action. The side pot was bigger than the main pot I won.