PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the cards don't matter $10-$20 @ the Borgata

Mike Gallo
05-03-2004, 10:43 PM
A year ago I would never have thought to attempt this maneuver. Thanks to everyone involved here for helping with my creativity and putting my knowledge to use. I put my opponent on a hand and I felt confident I could knock him off of it. I decided to put my hypothesis to the test.

This hand happened seven handed at a good $10-$20 game.

A drunk tilting player (DTP) limps under the gun. This player will limp and chase and fold if he does not hit his hand on the river. He will bet if action gets checked to him, he called a single raise however he did not call two bets cold. He would often cap or fold rather than call. I check raised him a few times during the session. After the second check raise I think he realized I check raised him with the goods.

Folded to the button who called.

Some background info on her. She got busted earlier in the day playing $20-$40 and moved down to $10-$20. She would call with any two cards from the button and fold if the flop did not hit her. She played loose pre flop from lp but tightened up post flop. If she had overcards adding to 19 she would raise. If she had any pocket pair she would raise. (she raised with 9 10 suited from that position earlier and got crushed from the player in the bb). When she called I put her on a random hand that she could punish the DTP with if she hit a hand.

I complete with 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Flame away if you like /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The big blind checked and off the races we went.

3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Good flop for me. I lead out the big blind folds DTP raises the button wishes me luck and mucks her card all in one motion and action gets to me and I call.

7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check DTP bets and I raise . DTP gives a chuckle and calls.

7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, DTP mucks JQ hearts face up and concedes the hand. DTP ordered another drink and he asked the dealer why he couldnt have put up a heart to punish my straight /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cold_cash
05-04-2004, 12:10 AM
You should have flipped them face up and said "Damn I'm good." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike Gallo
05-04-2004, 12:19 AM
You should have flipped them face up and said "Damn I'm good."

No way, I like the rock like image that people have of me. Some players think I do not bluff at all, or bluff enough for that matter. I want them to keep that opinion of me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BeerMoney
05-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Very smooth.. You were playing off of previous actions in the game. Also, the turn check-raise is a scary thing. It also helped though that he didn't have anything to call with.

Mike Gallo
05-04-2004, 12:48 AM
You were playing off of previous actions in the game.

Yes. Some players do pay attention.

It also helped though that he didn't have anything to call with.

When he hesitated and called the check raise I put him on overcards or suited cards. He had both and he did not improve.

Also, the turn check-raise is a scary thing.

The times I check raised him I had the goods every time.

sfer
05-04-2004, 02:19 AM
Why force yourself to have the goods next time?

risen
05-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Never ever ever ever ever rub someone's face in the fact you bluffed them with busted nothing at a limit ring game. You will tighten up the whole table. That's bad advertising.

DocHollyday
05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Can you give me a reason, why it should tighten up the table, after someone showed a bluff??

Do you change your general approach to a game for the whole table, after someone showed a bluff?? I don't think that makes sense! I rather change my style towards this single player if he/she's a frequent bluffer!

There are pro's and con's against showing off, where I also rather keep it as secret, when I run one of my seldom bluffs. On the other hand, when I know, that I can rattle a player and even make him tilting I'm rather tempted to show it.
Some people will start to keep you honest forever, after you bluffed them once. So I don't think it's such a bad advertising.

risen
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
You know doc, I had just awakened when i wrote that and somehow my feelings about teaching at the table got confused with my feelings about bluffing. That doesn't even make sense to me at this civilized hour of the morning. Lemme throw down an emphatic ooops. Yea showing down bluffs is the best and gets you paid off. Bah.

cold_cash
05-04-2004, 11:10 AM
It was just a joke. I understand how and why doing that could be a bad idea.

DcifrThs
05-04-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have flipped them face up and said "Damn I'm good."

No way, I like the rock like image that people have of me. Some players think I do not bluff at all, or bluff enough for that matter. I want them to keep that opinion of me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the kind of image that allows one to not play many hands, virtually none some days, and still take down pots and win money. imagine if we all just played our hands to hit something and release if we didn't. i, for one, would be playing less than 15% of my hands and only making money, if i got action which is unlikely unless its a great game, on a few of those. that tight image of the young man (in my case-insert age and gender here) who sits there and aparantly enjoys the watching more than the playing allows me (insert pronoun here for customization) to bet at a missed flop and take it down. or semi-bluff c-r with a high certainty of it folding out a better hand.

on a side note. i've found that when a tight player limps in an aware game or at least one where somebody has commented, "man, that kid NEVER plays a hand," its less likely to be raised behind you. so with that image you can start playing more hands in spots you wouldn't without that image. at least thats what seems true in those games. of course the line is very thin b/c if you start limping alot or playing more hands your image starts to fade.

therefore if it allows you to play 1 extra hand every 20 its good enough for me. long of the short of it, i don't show bluffs unless its in NL and a guy is fixing to lose a TON if i get him tilted.

good job mike.

-Barron

CrackerZack
05-04-2004, 01:17 PM
You're lucky I wasn't the DTP, I would've raised you on the river to make myself laugh. /images/graemlins/smile.gif