PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set on a hella coordinated board, and a mysterious river check

bdk3clash
05-03-2004, 09:17 PM
My notes/PokerTracker indicate that the SB is loose, aggressive, and has a tendency to get frisky.

Comments on each street? Bet the river or check behind?

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has 6h, 6c and is BB

EP2 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps, Button folds, SB limps, bdk3clash checks

Flop(5 SB): 5s, 7s, 6s

SB checks, bdk3clash bets, EP2 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB calls

Turn(3 1/2 BB): Kc

SB bets, bdk3clash raises, SB 3-bets, bdk3clash calls

River(9 1/2 BB): 3h

SB checks, bdk3clash...

thirddan
05-03-2004, 09:20 PM
i would check behind...

sublime
05-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Check, its not worth the risk

Blindfolk
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
You're either way behind on the flop or way ahead. I don't see how the K on the turn actually helps SB. Does he show K8?

cold_cash
05-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I don't know if it's the correct play, but I'd check behind.

Getting check-raised here would really suck the big one.

sfer
05-04-2004, 01:21 AM
I want to make clear the only reason I'm responding is because the use of the word "hella." "Hecka" I will ignore completely in the future. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bet. Why in the world is this doofus afraid of a 3? A straight? Bet--he has two pair. But take that with a with a grain of salt. I think I hold the world record for getting checkraised on the river. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

bakku
05-04-2004, 01:38 AM
"Hella" is a NorCal word..how did it get all the way out to NY?

sfer
05-04-2004, 01:39 AM
9 years in Berkeley and SF my friend. Good times.

Late.

bakku
05-04-2004, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
9 years in Berkeley and SF my friend. Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, we talked about this at the 2+2 table.

[ QUOTE ]
Late.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

siccjay
05-04-2004, 01:45 AM
"Hella" came from SOUTHPARK of course!! Cartman is hella coo.

bakku
05-04-2004, 01:50 AM
No way..I've been 'hella' since junior high and that was way before Southpark

sfer
05-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Gotta disagree with you there. The use of Hella was the easiest way to distinguish NoCal/SoCal undergrads at Berkeley, and I enrolled there in 1993 which I'm pretty sure pre-dates even Comedy Central.

NightWalker5
05-04-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta disagree with you there. The use of Hella was the easiest way to distinguish NoCal/SoCal undergrads at Berkeley, and I enrolled there in 1993 which I'm pretty sure pre-dates even Comedy Central.

[/ QUOTE ]
Comedy Central started in 1993 but South Park wasn't around until later.

vulturesrow
05-04-2004, 02:42 AM
Im a big south park fan but was not aware of the origins of the word hella. That being said, what was the outcome of this hand? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bisonbison
05-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Norcal born and bred. Hella since I can't even remember.

I swear to god though, I had never heard "wicked" used like Hella until I went to school in mass. Not on tv. not in movies. Before Good Will Hunting, pop culture was blissfully free of wicked coolness.

Trix
05-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Bet, if this guy is cabable of check-raising the river after 3betting the turn, then he deserved two bets.

bdk3clash
05-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised noone suggested I cap the turn, especially given my read on my opponent. Hands that beat me (on the turn) include:

-any two /images/graemlins/spade.gifs
-34, 48, 89
-KK

Given how loosely my opponent plays, even given his 3-bet on the turn I think I'm still likely to be ahead. I think capping here would have been +EV. Of course, my analysis may be biased by knowing the results.

When he checked behind on the river, it just seemed so out of character. It didn't fit in with the story of the rest of the hand. Did he suddenly regret his turn 3-bet and want to cut his losses? Or was he getting super-tricky knowing I'd think that, and that he'd be able to sneak one last bet in with a made-type hand (a straight or a flush?) by check-raising the river?

But, if he thought that, why would he assume that I would bet, when I was presented with an opportunity to be aggressive (when he 3-bet the turn) and wasn't? And especially now that the board has a one-card straight on it?

Anyway, since I'd reached a Princess Bride-type situation where I could reasonbly go either way, I figured I'd base my action on the fact that my opponent was generally an idiot. I bet, he called. He had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif10/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Nate tha' Great
05-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, *I* think you should have capped the turn, which would have made your river decision easier.

nolanfan34
05-04-2004, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I figured I'd base my action on the fact that my opponent was generally an idiot. I bet, he called. He had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif10/images/graemlins/club.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great quote.

See, this is why I avoid all of that painful "thinking" of who-could-have-what-and-what-do-they-think-I-have against a typical LAG. Just remember if you think they're an idiot, they'll pay off on the end.

I could go either way on the turn betting, I would probably cap, you have enough money in the pot to justify another bet vs. the chance to fill up on the river.

Nice playing and nice hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

B Dids
05-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Lived in WA almost my whole life, picked Hella up freshman year of college (94). It's an awesome word.

sfer
05-04-2004, 10:13 PM
It's too bad we don't say Wanker over here.

bdk3clash
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
I definitely first heard "hella" on South Park. Cartman, I believe, saying "hella cool."