PDA

View Full Version : I didn't understand myself

06-21-2002, 01:07 PM
In a loose weak 1-2 online game. I am in the cutoff and receive 9d7d.

3 limp to me, and I limp. Button unfortunately raises, SB calls, BB folds, all others (including me) call.

Flop: 7h 6d 4h

All check to the button, who bets. 3 call to me and I call.

Turn: Ad

3 check to me and I bet. Button raises. All fold to me and I call.

River: 7s

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls and I beat down his AK.

Comments on my play on the flop and turn (I assume preflop is debatable but ok, and river is fine). I remember thinking during the hand that if I was him, I'd have no idea what my opponent was holding.

06-21-2002, 01:38 PM
I think you should lead at the flop having top pair and some backdoor draws. You cannot stand to have this hand checked around because you are incredibly vulnerable to overcards. The button made a mistake betting his overcards into a large field like this of 5 opponents. Your turn bet was a good one because the ace is a good scare-card and you have 14 outs against a better hand. Nice play at the river.

06-21-2002, 05:25 PM
I think the only thing I would've done differently here is bet the flop. You're last to act before the preflop raiser, so use him as a springboard to put pressure on any limpers' hearts or singleton straight cards.

06-22-2002, 08:31 PM
>Flop: 7h 6d 4h

>All check to the button, who bets. 3 call to me

>and I call.

Why would you check to the button? Wouldn't you rather knock people out by betting and hoping the button raises?

>Turn: Ad

>3 check to me and I bet. Button raises. All fold

>to me and I call.

And now that you've picked up a draw you want to knock people out?

>River: 7s

>I check, he bets, I raise, he calls and I beat

>down his AK.

You made extra bets over the method I would have used because both you and the button hit again after the flop. This is normally unlikely. That's also why the button couldn't have reasonably put you on a hand.