PDA

View Full Version : Party 15-30 pay off?

NYplayer
05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I post in the cuttoff and am dealt 6c9c.
unknown UTG raises, a loose passive player cold calls and I play another 15. BB calls adn 4 take teh flop for 2 bets each.

flop 3d 4d 5h:

bb checks, UTG bets, weak player calls, I raise, BB folds, UTG 3 bets, weak player calls, I call.

3 players 8.5 BBs in pot.

Turn brings the Qc (3d 4d 5h)
UTG bets, weak player calls, I call.

river 9s (Qc 3d 4d 5h):
UTG bets, weak player calls,
do I pay off or fold?

sweetzer
05-04-2004, 12:52 AM
There are 13.5 BB's in the pot. But there is also an unknown utg raiser who has played this pot as aggressively and unwaveringly as possible, with no fear of a coordinated, though low flop, and the turn queen. Likewise the loose passive player has called all the way, and has something or he would have folded the river with you to act behind him. I can not see your nine no kicker being worth a river call. Is there 8% chance of you winning, I don't think so. Of course, I'm not real thrilled with 96s call preflop, but then I might have done the same thing at that moment.

PassiveCaller
05-04-2004, 01:06 AM
My 69 hits the muck lightning quick even with the 15 invested and it saves me this unfavorable situation.

You may have the loose player beat he probably has AX with one of the pairs on board but... with no read I have to give respect to the UTG raiser who keeps raising the bad player. I don't want to be an overcaller here with 96s. There's better spots then this with much better hands.

DocHollyday
05-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Try to muck preflop. I know it can be hard after already 15$ invested, but folding such hands will keep you out of trouble and will save you a nice amount of money.

However, you paid and now you are at the river, or even close to the fall.

It is a more or less clear muck in my eyes. You don't know UTG and he showed strength on all stations. He's likely to hold an overpair like KK or AA, even if he's bluffing, and you can't even beat JJ or TT. Additionally there is still the weak player who called. Hey may hold a queen, two-pair (he won't raise if he's real weak). So don't even imagine your rivered pair of 9 without kicker has a real chance to hold up. Save the 30 bucks, you won't win enough times to justify the call........on the other hand, it's party poker! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, even on party you should muck here.

Good luck and may be see you at the table sometime!

tpir90036
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
UTG has shown nothing but stregth the entire time.... and with the weak player calling the river, your overcall will not be good enough times to justify it with respect to the size of the pot IMHO.

David Steele
05-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Pre-flop call is correct.
Fold on the river.

D.

elindauer
05-04-2004, 12:32 PM
With position and suited, remotely connected cards, I suspect that you are absolutely correct to call the raise. As for your river decision, I'd guess it doesn't matter much either way. If the caller had folded, I'd definitely call, but overcalling with a rivered middle pair...

You'll sometimes fold and find you're up against AK and a smaller pair, or two AKs, but I don't think this will happen enough to justify the call, especially given the raisers flop 3-bet. I fold.

NYplayer
05-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I think that preflop this is an easy easy call. you are getting more than 6-1 with position and if a blind comes along it's better than 7-1. If you are folding in this spot you are giving something up (assuming you have some sense of how to play post flop).

I folded on the river, UTG showed AhKh and weak player took it down with A3o for a pair of 3s. I think that i won't win often enough making the overcall to make it proper.
thanks for all of the responses!!