PDA

View Full Version : Once more into the breach or is discretion the better part of valor?

mr. oats
05-03-2004, 05:09 PM
This is a general question that may in fact be too general so apologize ahead of time if that's the case. It just so happens that this is a situation that most of us probably face countless times daily and I wonder if it's a leak for me or not. What is your river play given the two situations below?

Online 2/4

Hero open-raises A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in middle position and gets one late position caller and the BB comes too.

Flop puts a Q on board along with a two flush but no apparent straight draws. Say Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Situation (1):
BB bets out, Hero raises, LP cold calls 2 and BB calls.
Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] BB checks, Hero bets, gets 2 callers.
River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif [6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] BB checks, Hero...?

Situation (2):
BB checks, Hero bets, LP calls, BB folds
Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] Hero bets, LP calls.
River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif [6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] Hero...?

You only know the LP to be a struggling non-idiot that has some understanding of your tendencies. He senses that the worst hand you could have at the river is an unimproved AK. We can narrow his hands down somewhat confidently into two catagories:

A) A worse Q or smaller pocket pair which he'd call a bet with but may not bet himself.

B) A made or missed flush which he'd bet/raise or fold with respectively.

What should Hero do? I have more specific questions but I'd rather not influence the answers/opinions that I hope are coming.

mr.oats