PDA

View Full Version : Hand from Stars NL SNG

adam61
05-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Ever won a biggish hand and felt like even though you made a perfect call it was stupid to make?

3 players in this hand all with 1500ish chips in level 1 of a tourney, about 6 hands in. I had AKo and raised 5x the BB from middle position, knocked a limper out and 3 players in for 100.

So I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Flop comes A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif First to act goes all-in, second player thinks for about 15 seconds and folds. I think for about 30 seconds and call. He turns over K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif So he has an inside straight draw, and backdoor flush draw, I'm a huge favorite 80/20. Turn and river blank and I more than double up.

I've played with the guy who went all-in before, and he'd made the money before and was ok but had made some questionable moves before but nothing bad enough to give me a solid read. I just got a strong gut feeling it was a bluff and for some reason decided to call. Is this a mistake? I think it is but I don't really know.

thomastem
05-03-2004, 04:52 PM
More info would help like did this player call you cold Pre-flop or did he have something invested and a couple callers before calling?

From what I see here this play scream Trip 10s or trip 3s or prehaps holding A-10 or A-Q that don't want to allow someone to draw a club.

Unless I know the player is in the habit of going all-in early for a draw or top pair with a decent kicker I can't call this.

esbesb
05-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Although risky, seems like the right call IMO.

Sure, he could have AT for two pair or trips, but that is unlikely. Seems like most players, rightly or wrongly, will try to check raise two pair or a set if they've got them. AT should have been folded to your raise (though I realize some would play it). Seems like either a flush draw to me (in which case you have a pretty good advantage) or also AK, AQ, AJ (in which case you either push or have a huge advantage).