PDA

View Full Version : Getting involved with KQs behind an EP raise.

PokerNoob
05-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Somewhat tight, passive postflop table, I haven't played a hand in forever. UTG hasn't played much either.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds. I normally dump KQo here, but it is sooooted and there is an extra posted bet. Now, to raise or not? I really like to induce coldcalls behind with the type hands that can flop big and get big action.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, UTG calls. A good/bad flop. Top pair, but my straight draw is tainted. I raise the obligatory lead out bet (planning on folding to a reraise). I'm ahead of AK and JJ, behind everything else and want to find out now. Coldcaller is worrisome, but could just have a gutshot, a T or an 8. When UTG just calls, I'm thinking I'm good.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, UTG calls. Rag, wonderful rag, CO folds whatever it was, but UTG calls. Slowplayed overpair? Stubborn underpair? AQ in showdown mode? I plan on checking the river through.

River: (8.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls. This card seems like it solves more problems than it presents with the runner runner flush, and I hope I would have heard from KK before now. But now I beat AA and AK will call a bet here, as will weird two pair like QJs, so I'll bet. Uh-oh, checkraised. I would checkraise myself here with AK and I've seen this play with AA, so I've got to call this down I think. Comments? Other reads?

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Chaos_ult
05-03-2004, 04:25 PM
You can't really discredit AJ here either.

In fact, that's exactly what i put UTG on.

asdf1234
05-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I think he has AJs, but maybe AK.

StellarWind
05-03-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A good/bad flop. Top pair, but my straight draw is tainted. I raise the obligatory lead out bet (planning on folding to a reraise). I'm ahead of AK and JJ, behind everything else and want to find out now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this flop far, far above average? If you don't love a nice flop like this (and why should you?) what does that say about your preflop coldcall?

PokerNoob
05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
The only thing I don't like about it is that the flush is not in order, and the straight is tainted by a very possible AK. Other than that, its a great flop. I didn't mean to imply I didn't like it.

Villian did have AJs. I hate AJs in EP. You raise, and (mostly) you're dominated by any callers/raisers behind. You can't confidently play it if an ace flops, although you pretty much have to. It does make a nice straight though, and you're bound to get action when it does.

Sarge85
05-03-2004, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's stop the hand here.

What's the superior play?

Cold-calling
Re-Raising
Folding
------------

I'm inclined to fold here. Am I giving up to easily?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif