PDA

View Full Version : limping in with TT from MP

BigBiceps
05-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I was wondering what the posters here think about limping in with TT from middle position in a yet unraised pot.

For example to consider,
1) how good of a plan is this?
2) what to do if it is raised behind pre-flop?
3) what to do if an overcard flops and there are players to act behind?
4) what to do if an overcard flops and you are in last position?
5) what to do if you have an overpair and bet pot on the flop to be raised the pot or check-raised the pot?

Any other questions to consider...

AeonBlues
05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Tens and Jacks are about as tricky as playing AK.

I generaly limp with 10ns in early and middle position. The thing about these pairs is, you don't really want to get more money in the pot if you are out of position. Unfortunately there are 16 cards in the deck that will flop an over card. I will raise from LP, as you most likely have the best hand, and are much less likely to be against a bigger pair. What you can't do though, is call a re raise for much money if you do raise, unless you are given suficient odds to flop a set. If you get limp reraised, the you are almost allways against a bigger pair. Again, call only if you have suficiant odds to flop a set.

In post flop play....

If someone raised pre flop: then I like to come out betting the pot or half the pot, if I have an over pair. No pair hands will generaly fold, but if my opponet raises the flop, I fold, and if he/she calls a pot bet, I will generaly check and fold if bet back at. Ofcourse, if you flop a set you should be trying to get all in.

If the pot was unraised: If I flop an overpair I come out betting the pot for sure, but will muck the hand if someone is betting like they have a monster. If an ovvercard flops, I will check from early and middle position, and bet the pot from late postition. Last or 2nd to last. If I get called, I'll check it down. When you represent weakness after the flop you will very offten get players to bet against you with any 2 cards.

How well you play pairs like 99 to JJ will have a hudge impact on your expectation. And your knowledge of your opponets is defiatlty the deciding factor when deciding how deap you want to get with these hands. Agaist weak players I will play 10ns against them like they were aces, but against very strong players I will try to keep the pot from getting too deap unless I make a monster hand. And if a very strong player represents a monster hand it's an easy fold.

AeonBlues

BigBiceps
05-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Preflop: I can see arguments for both raising and smoothcalling in middle position.

The reason I posted this originated when I smooth called (normally I raise) and it was 4-handed and I was last to act on a Q high flop (with no draws). My mistake was not betting to win the pot on the flop. Unusually a King came on the turn and a 7 on the river and it was checked around and my pocket tens took it. I knew I had misplayed the hand, but now I realize that it was the on the flop that I misplayed it. Do you agree?

MS Sunshine
05-08-2004, 02:05 AM
I dislike the limp in MP preflop. A 3XBB raise stands a good chance of winning the pot right here, or it most likely gets you last action for future betting rounds, or it may cut it down to you and someone in front of you. A single over card flop is much easier to play against only one up front opponent. IMO

Granted if the pot gets reraised preflop things get real tough for this hand and most likely the muck is where TT should go before serious money goes into the pot.

MS Sunshine