PDA

View Full Version : Clarkmeister vs. Dynasty. Who should I listen to?

Inthacup
05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
About 2 months ago, I was in Vegas with some friends. We all decided to have a rowdy 3-6 game at the mirage. Constant drinks, 100% chance of raising, you know the drill.

I meet up with Clarkmeister, Bob L. and Dynasty there and we talk for a few minutes. They ask me what I've played so far. I say something like 'mostly 15-30, which I've been destroying'. Clark says 'You need to jump in the 40-80 game I just quit. It's pretty good and you need to put that notch on your belt'. Dynasty objects 'nah, he's been drinking he should stay in the 3-6 game'.

Has Dynasty become weak-tight? Is Clark being too LAG? Should I take the $2500 I have in chips at the 3-6 table and move to the 40-80 game or keep building my mountain of whites?

This has troubled me ever since. Thanks for any input /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cup

Homer
05-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Wait, you mean Clarkmeister and Dynasty aren't the same person? Based on comments in the forums, I always thought there was just one person, "Clarkmeister/Dynasty".

If you were drinking or just weren't in the right frame of mind for playing in a higher limit for the first time, stay at the 3/6, otherwise go for it.

Clarkmeister
05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
"This has troubled me ever since."

You have too much free time.

J.A.Sucker
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
You should do whatever it takes to maximize your chances of receiving a free hamburger comp. Alternatively, hit the craps pit with the 2500. Failing that, go to the Bellagio Baccarat Bar at about 2AM and see what 2500 gets you.

Inthacup
05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
You have too much free time.

There is no disputing that.

Cup

Inthacup
05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
You should do whatever it takes to maximize your chances of receiving a free hamburger comp.

Finally, a voice of reason.

M2d
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should do whatever it takes to maximize your chances of receiving a free hamburger comp

[/ QUOTE ]
This from a guy who defends Lucky Chances food (granted, not-made-on-site ice cream). /images/graemlins/cool.gif

DcifrThs
05-03-2004, 02:31 PM
my first question to clark would be: "why did you quit?" and "why should i now join?"

but failing that i'd say given your drunkenness i'd stay in the 3/6 game. with $2500!!!! in whites lol. maybe you should color up a bit and save some room on the table for your drinks, other players...and maybe a flop. with all those chips im surprised the dealer could even FIND you behind them.

when i was playing with coilean, clark, danS, and hiatusover at the bay's 4/8 game, i remember coilean saying, "i wouldn't touch a 40/80 game with a 10 foot pole right now." i referenced it earlier in a response to him but i think its an apt statement. don't go where you don't want to be given your state of mind.

-Barron

DcifrThs
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM

Inthacup
05-03-2004, 02:44 PM
why did you quit?

He mentioned something about having a date with his girlfriend.

with $2500!!!! in whites

Most of it was whites, but I did have a few $500 chips in there too. I tried all whites but they didn't have enough to accomidate. They were also none too pleased when we cashed out either. I wasn't the only one who bought in for such a ridiculous amount.

Dynasty will probably back me up on this, but now that I think about it, I think the 3-6 game had a higher $$/hr for anyone at that table than any other in the room, including 40-80, the way 2000Flushes was giving away money.

Cup

Al_Capone_Junior
05-03-2004, 03:41 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have played quite a bit with Clarkmeister. He's definitely more towards the LAG than Dynasty strikes me as being, tho I can't say I have played with Dynasty, I've just hung out with him. I've been reading and responding to both their posts for years tho, so I have some idea of their play and philosophy.

Both these guys are good guys, BTW, just Super-Magoos (esp. Dave Clark!).

I've played in a couple low limit games with Clark while drinking before, it's going to be a wild time, that's fer sure. I remember Clark be-ach-ing me when his queens full beat my tens full, and I also remember semi-bluffing him and D. Andrew out of a pot when I had 48o in LP (yes, I entered the pot of my own free will) and flopped a gutshot str8 draw. That's the kind of wild [censored] you'll be in for.

If you had been drinking, I would suggest playing in the drunken 3-6 game rather than the 40-80. This is because A) you're likely to have impaired judgement, and no matter how good the 40-80 might be, and B) because you'll have lots of fun in the 3-6, and poker really should be about fun first and money second.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
05-03-2004, 03:44 PM
... was always the $5 comp at the noodle bar in the Taj in AC. DAMN I love the noodle bar! Check "rounders" for a glimpse of the best munchies in AC!

al

Inthacup
05-03-2004, 03:52 PM
I always thought there was just one person, "Clarkmeister/Dynasty".

While I can vouch that they are actually seperate people, I will say that Dynomeister or ClarkNasty is much better than either of their individual names.

_2000Flushes
05-03-2004, 03:57 PM
I vaguely recall meeting two seperate people who claimed to post under these names. It was usually very brief, and accompanied by what I perceived as another player at the table slowly yelling, "thaaaat's twooooothouuuusaaand fluuuushhessss." I'd reply, "Hi, nice to mee ... PURPLE SHIRT! HEY! PURPLE SHIRT! I LOVE YOU!"

Sorry, guys. I hope we meet under more coherent circumstances one day.

-2kF

Clarkmeister
05-03-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought there was just one person, "Clarkmeister/Dynasty".

While I can vouch that they are actually seperate people, I will say that Dynomeister or ClarkNasty is much better than either of their individual names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to argue with that.

DanS
05-03-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

when i was playing with coilean, clark, danS, and hiatusover at the bay's 4/8 game, i remember coilean saying, "i wouldn't touch a 40/80 game with a 10 foot pole right now." i referenced it earlier in a response to him but i think its an apt statement. don't go where you don't want to be given your state of mind.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Phuck, hiatusover was in that game? I thought he was the one guy I didn't get the chance to meet while in Vegas. Which seat was he in (or did he come after I left)?

Dan

mike l.
05-03-2004, 07:21 PM
moving up and taking a shot is always the correct thing for a winning player w/ the money to do so. dont think, just sit down.

mike l.
(now kicking myself for not playing 150-300 the other night even if the game looked awful and i had only 6k on me)

JoeU
05-03-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I take the $2500 I have in chips at the 3-6 table and move to the 40-80 game or keep building my mountain of whites?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you see the cards with that mountain of chips? The most I've had in front of me in those games is like $250-$300, and it is tough enough with that pyramid.

Maybe the dealer was telling you what you had by carrier pigeon? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

PS: How much did that mountain weigh when you went to cash out. (Who needs a weight room when you'ver got that!) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Both Dynasty and Clark are Best Boys. Dynasty is the more rational of the two, despite his less rational wardrobe.

You should never even consider a game that is above your "normal comfort level", especially when drinking. On this one, I am with Dynasty 100%.

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

_2000Flushes
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
If you're normally drinking, then your normal comfort level might tell you to move up in limits. If ever there were a time to do it, it's when you're drunk. You're either going to make some money, or waste your life in the low limits. I suggest taking your shot when wasted. Then it lessens the blow when you bust.

As far as the next morning is concerned, just make sure you don't piss away your drinking money. Let's exercise a little prudence.

-2kF

AJo Go All In
05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
You've got no chance to be a winning player approaching the game with an attitude that includes playing in a bigger game than you normally play, while you have been drinking.

Wretched.
Dismal.
Pitiable.
Feeble.
Weak.
Awful.
Horrifying.
Nasty.
Atrocious.
Ghastly.
Hideous.
Repulsive.
Dreadful.
Horrendous.
Appalling.
Inexcusable.

Pick whatever adjective you want. They all apply very well.

_2000Flushes
05-04-2004, 05:24 PM
You really need to learn that poker isn't about attitude. There are some odds involved to some extent. But with so many people just calling with anything, your success really depends on the luck of the draw. If you're just playing around for fun, then stick to the low limits. But if you want to make a little money while you're having your fun, then drink it up and hit the high roller tables. That's all there is to it.

-2kF

Tommy Angelo
05-04-2004, 06:30 PM
This is an easily solved limit-hold'em bankroll problem once you know the two-or-twenty-racks rule that I just made up.

Take a bankroll, any bankroll,[example: $2000] and divide by 100. The answer [$20], is the amount of the small blind in the higher of two limits you should play [$40-80]. You get two racks. Seek and destroy. To determine the lower game that you should play, go 20 times smaller [$2-4]. Now your $2000 buys 20 racks, practically enough to guarentee a career in poker.

With $2500, you had just about the right amount for which it was nearly exactly correct to play in or refuse $3-6 or $40-80. Good poker-room selection.

Tommy

HiatusOver
05-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey Dan whats up...I wasnt in the game but did come visit for probably 10 minutes, tried for a sec to get in but couldnt and then just went with friends who had a room at Mandalay. It was pretty late though, not sure exactly what time you left.