PDA

View Full Version : Golf News And Quote O' The Week

HDPM
05-03-2004, 01:06 PM
I almost didn't notice this, but I happened to check the LPGA leaderboard. JoAnne Carner made the cut this week. She's 65. I think she has made 2 cuts this year. I think this is an amazing feat. Women golfers have not faired as well as they age it seems like. And she's 65 which is old by any standard in golf. Look at how much nicklaus palmer player fell off at that age. And there has been great improvement in womens' athletics since her prime. Womens' sports have come a long way. And in golf the influx of international talent has been huge. So I think her accomplishment is pretty amazing. I always liked watching her and am glad I got to see her in her prime in person. Here's a quote from Carner that poker players might like.

"You look back at the purses the women played for in the 1950s and early
'60s, and you wonder how they could even afford to eat. Well, a lot of them
were world-class poker players. They would look up the biggest card game in
town and play for big money. They were good enough at it to make a living.
As a rule, women are better poker players than men."

andyfox
05-03-2004, 01:34 PM
On Carner:

"The Great Gundy" [maiden name was Gunderson] won the U. S. Amateur championship five times, in 1957, 1960, 1962, 1966, and 1968. She even won a tournament on the professional tour in 1969; no amateur has done it since. She joined the tour in 1970 and won the U. S. Open the following year.

Although she was the Open champion again in 1976 and won the Vare Trophy for the lowest average round in 1974 and 1975, her best years as a pro came after she turned forty. She was named LPGA Player of the Year and Vare Trophy winner three years in a row, from 1981 through 1983, and she was the tour's leading money winner in 1982 and 1983.

Carner became the second LPGA player to pass $1 million in earnings in 1981; in 1988, she became the second to pass $2 million. She was also the first woman golfer to earn more than $200,000 in three consecutive years. Her last victory was the 1985 Safeco Classic, her forty-second, which ties her for sixth on the all-time list.

Helluva player, and always a helluva good interview. Tell you what, Big mama would scare me at the poker table!